Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Ricoh MP9200 Compatibility

Burn baby burn!

Ricoh MP9200 Compatibility

Postby r2d2d3d4d5 on Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:57 am

Can someone tell me what current discs are compatible with this drive?

I keep getting Power Calibration errors on all new discs.

I've had no success with Verbatim (48X CD-Rs) and Philips 52X. Previous to this two I've used Imation 40X (not sure about the speed) and had about a 80% success rate without any Power Calibration errors.

At first I thought the lens was dirty so I took it apart and used half a can of compressed air to give it a good clean. But that didn't make any difference. Then I found an old CD-RW that came with the drive and I managed to burn it without any problems. So I'm guessing the drive is fine.

Can the new discs be too fast for my drive (I've tried burning them at all speeds). Ricoh's site is useless. They recommend manufacturers. But just because a manufacturer made some compatible discs a year ago it doesn’t mean they do now. I burned a ton of Philips 12X without any problems but none of their 52X work. Verbatim are actually one of their recommended manufacturers but their discs didn't work either.

Anyone with the same drive around here? I'd like to know what discs you use.

Thank you.
r2d2d3d4d5
Buffer Underrun

Postby r2d2d3d4d5 on Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:50 am

OK maybe the questing was too specific.
i guess Ricoh aren't that popular around here.

does anyone else think that the discs might be too fast for my drive and that I might have more luck with low speed discs?

can someone please recommend some highly compatible low speed discs.
thank you.

by the way the Ricoh MP9200 is a 12xDVD, 40xCD, 20xCD-R, 10xCD-RW drive.
r2d2d3d4d5
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:20 pm

New CD-Rs shouldn't be "too fast" for your drive, but it would be interesting to try some older media. Also, you might want to try some Taiyo Yuden discs, as those are very compatible with many drives. Fuji repackages TY discs sometimes (at least in the US). If a package of Fuji discs has "made in Japan" on the label, the discs were made by TY.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby r2d2d3d4d5 on Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:51 pm

Thanks for that.
To be honest I was hoping for a more definite answer.
I think someone is getting me a DVDRW for my birthday in the next couple of weeks.
I think I'll use up the stock of discs that I've build up for now but next time I shop for some more CDs I'll definitely try out Taiyo Yuden.
I promise to post back here with any success/failure.
Thanks again.

edit//
After that I tried a bunch of other types of discs but none of them worked. I bought a different drive and have not had a bad burn since.
Last edited by r2d2d3d4d5 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
r2d2d3d4d5
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:38 pm

You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't provide a more definite answer, though. :(

I'll be interested to hear what you find out. Have a happy birthday! 8)
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Halc on Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:25 am

It's a crap drive. I've had two. It get's picky by age and there's nothing you can do about it.

I had best results with Taiyo Yuden, once my models started acting.

I don't think it's any wonder that Ricoh left the CDRW market in the USA. I wouldn't touch their dvd writers either :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives