Home News Reviews Forums Shop

I'm stumped!!!??

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

I'm stumped!!!??

Postby cncnb on Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 pm

My friend has a HP Pavillion computer that is maybe 4 or 5 years old. The original modem board that came with it quit so they took it to a computer shop (who charged them about $60) and had it changed out. It worked for about 3 weeks and went out. I ordered a new one from newegg and put it in about a month ago for them. It just went out again.
Has anyone any idea why this would deep happening? They asked me to change it out for them again but I don't see the point until we try to find the solution to the problem. They use AOL service and use a good surge protector.
Thanks in advance for your help. :)
cncnb
Buffer Underrun

Postby wicked1 on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:36 pm

have the line checked by the telco and get a different line protector.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Re: I'm stumped!!!??

Postby redk9258 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:13 am

cncnb wrote:My friend has a HP Pavillion computer that is maybe 4 or 5 years old. The original modem board that came with it quit so they took it to a computer shop (who charged them about $60) and had it changed out. It worked for about 3 weeks and went out. I ordered a new one from newegg and put it in about a month ago for them. It just went out again.
Has anyone any idea why this would deep happening? They asked me to change it out for them again but I don't see the point until we try to find the solution to the problem. They use AOL service and use a good surge protector.
Thanks in advance for your help. :)

It's not a POS US robotics modem is it? I had the same problem before I switched to another brand. I bought a $12 Trendware modem and it has worked great for over a year. Good connection speeds and modem on hold.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:52 am

redk9258 wrote:It's not a POS US robotics modem is it? I had the same problem before I switched to another brand. I bought a $12 Trendware modem and it has worked great for over a year. Good connection speeds and modem on hold.

WTF???? USRobotics are some of the best made modems in the world. Get a Courier lifetime tech support and free upgrades and they will cover the modem if it happens again. I used to have similar problems come to find out the telco didnt have their own surge systems wired right and it was cooking my modems a few years back. USR replaced them everytime under warranty.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:00 am

wicked1 wrote:
redk9258 wrote:It's not a POS US robotics modem is it? I had the same problem before I switched to another brand. I bought a $12 Trendware modem and it has worked great for over a year. Good connection speeds and modem on hold.

WTF???? USRobotics are some of the best made modems in the world. Get a Courier lifetime tech support and free upgrades and they will cover the modem if it happens again. I used to have similar problems come to find out the telco didnt have their own surge systems wired right and it was cooking my modems a few years back. USR replaced them everytime under warranty.

USR _USED_ to be good. They have a terrible track record now. I did a little searching after the second modem died and there were a lot of people that had the same problem. After the second modem died, they wanted me to format my drive and reinstall windows! This was clearly a hardware problem. I asked about getting a different model and they would not do that. I tossed the USR in the trash. I bought another brand and it has been fine for almost 2 years now.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:37 pm

Well....I have had good experiences with USR and D-Link modems.Never had a problem with either of them.

BTW...I would recommend that you contact the telco for the problem and check the surge suppressor.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:56 pm

back a few months ago when i was on dialup i just bought a $10 modem from pc club, worked great

but yeah, make sure your phone line is on a protector, cause if thats the problem, you should be very lucky that the modem is the only thing getting fried
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:21 pm

hox is right.

You are lucky only if the modem is dying.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby cncnb on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:20 pm

wow, can a surge on the phone line take out more than the modem?
they are hooked into a proctector (phone line too). i'll tell them to get another protector and call the telco to check the lines. i just didn't see putting in another modem if there was obviously a problem. thanks for your help
cncnb
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:37 pm

ive had friend's entire computers fry from lightning strikes
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:34 pm

I have seen my friends cordless telephone turned to black mass due to ligthning.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion