Home News Reviews Forums Shop

FireFox

Need help with the website? Have feedback? Post it here.

FireFox

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:25 pm

FireFox doesn't play nice with phpbb :x
IE was much better.

1. in the posting screen, if i move the pointer into the text box or out of it and want to scroll (inside the text box or the entire screen) i have to click. with IE the focus automatically followed the mouse pointer - much nicer!

2. in the posting screen text box, whenever i click a smiley it appears at teh end of the text!!!! :x :x :x even if the cursor is not at the end (editing) :evil: :evil: :evil: same goes for php tags from the buttons under the subject box - even if the cursor is in the middle of the text the bbcode will apear at the end of the text :evil: :evil: :evil:

3. OK here there's no comparison with IE, but still annoying:
if i click a tab, it still doesn't get keyboard focus - if i press the space bar to scroll it won't work till i click on the tab's window frame :x

4. how could i forget ? the text editing box looks horrible - much worse than IE.
one of the things: the vertical-bar cursor is too thick, it partially hides the character it's over. #-o
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:51 pm

I didn't like Firefox, either. I'm using Mozilla-Firefox, seems better to me.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:23 pm

you can easily import 3rd party themes with fireox

i use firefox solely on my laptop
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:04 pm

hoxlund wrote:you can easily import 3rd party themes with fireox

what do themes have anything to do with what i posted ???
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:04 pm

Didn't your mothers tell you Firefox is for nerds?

IE RULEZ!
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:22 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
hoxlund wrote:you can easily import 3rd party themes with fireox

what do themes have anything to do with what i posted ???

They will placate your anger at the Firefox annoyances. Once you've got Firefox all gussied up with cutesy themes, it will be impossible for you to stay annoyed at it.

Here, try this one. Don't you just love the little hearts?

Or better yet, Scribblies. That is definitely cute enough to win over even a heartless polyhedron...

:wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby hoxlund on Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:50 am

it wasn't towards anyone, just that i like having that easy of ability to change the themes

i use noia 2.0 myself for the theme
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:44 am

i looked at all of the FireFox themes at addons.update.mozilla.org and didn't like any of them, ended up sticking with the orignal default one.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:45 am

back on topic - are any FireFox users experiencing the same things i listed in the first post, or is it just me ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby socheat on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:13 am

1.) Happens to me too
2.) Happens to me too
3.) Doesn't happen to me
4.) Doesn't happen to me

But remember, I use the Linux version, so maybe there are a few little differences in the way things display and behave. I don't intend to start a flame/browser war, but I'd use Mozilla browsers over IE any day.

<begin rant>
It pisses me off when things only work in certain browsers. For example, my company needs to be able to look up airline reservation information, and we use WorldSpan to provide that service. Unfortunately, it only works in Windows versions of IE, 5 and up. The company is all Mac. Solution? Buy a copy of Virtual PC, and a copy of Windows, and a license for WorldSpan for each person in the office who needs to use it (3-4 people). :evil:
<end rant>
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:11 am

Socheat wrote:1.) Happens to me too
2.) Happens to me too
3.) Doesn't happen to me
4.) Doesn't happen to me

But remember, I use the Linux version, so maybe there are a few little differences in the way things display and behave. I don't intend to start a flame/browser war, but I'd use Mozilla browsers over IE any day.

1. good to know
2. good to know

4. yeah it could be that OS makes a difference, for all i know a it could denepd on the video card or screen resolution :o #-o

i agree about Mozilla better than IE.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:35 am

dodecahedron wrote:back on topic - are any FireFox users experiencing the same things i listed in the first post, or is it just me ?

1. Are you talking about scrolling via keyboard key presses? If so, then yes I experience the same behavior. The keyboard focus stays with the current control until focus is explicitly changed by clicking on another control. But if you are talking about scrolling with the wheel on the mouse, then no, with my installation of Firefox the wheel scroll messages are sent to whichever control I am hovering over with the mouse.

I actually believe that in this case Firefox's behavior is correct (in terms of Windows look and feel as defined by Microsoft). Keyboard focus should not change to follow a mouse hover. However, I guess since Microsoft wrote the rules they feel free to break them. :-?

2. Yes, and I too find this annoying. I suspect, though, that this isn't purely a browser thing but rather is an interaction between both the browser and the forum software. Why do I say this? Because I can remember thinking to myself in the past, when I was still using IE, that I liked CDRLab's forum software better than CDFreak's because CDFreak's did the same thing: it put the smiley or other code at the end of the text rather than at the cursor point.

3. No, that doesn't happen to me, and that sure sounds like a bug. Are you using the latest version? Are you using a Hebrew localized version?

4. I haven't noticed that.

You missed one of my peeves:

5. In Firefox the address bar drop-down box of previously visited URLs is sorted by date originally visited rather than most recently visited. This has the effect of pushing the sites visit frequently to the bottom of the list where you have to scroll to find them while the sites you rarely visit occupy the prime real estate at the top of the list where no scrolling is required. This is exactly opposite of how I think it should behave.

I think I prefer Mozilla to Firefox, but I am using Firefox since I think it is getting more developer attention now and thus is more likely to be updated with bug and security fixes.

ciftz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:40 pm

1. actually i was talking about scrolling with the mouse wheel (stupid me didn't think of this explicitely)

however i forgot to mention something related about this:
it's not consistent.
when the window has focus and i scroll with the mouse wheel, OK.
now i move the mouse over the text box and scroll with the mouse, no it scrolls the entire screen.
this is exactly where IE is better - in this situation the mouse wheel scrolls the text box without having to click in it to give it focus.
however:
if you move the mouse over the Topic review box of the screen (where you see previous posts) it does function like IE - it gets focus without a mouseclick! :o weird.

2. i agree that this is not strictly a broswer issue but rather an interaction of the broswer with the forum software.
however IE works fine (in this point at least) with phpbb, so i don't really know who to blame: FireFox or phpbb.

3. i notice that it's inconsistent. perhaps a bug or something in my system.

5. i hadn't noticed it because i hardly ever use the pull-down menu of the address bar.
what i do find annoying about it, compared with IE, is that it lists not only the URL but also the page's title. so for there to be enough room for both in the pull-down, the URL is truncated with an elipsis '...' :x i'd rather have just the URL.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:18 pm

dodecahedron wrote:however i forgot to mention something related about this:
it's not consistent.
when the window has focus and i scroll with the mouse wheel, OK.
now i move the mouse over the text box and scroll with the mouse, no it scrolls the entire screen.
this is exactly where IE is better - in this situation the mouse wheel scrolls the text box without having to click in it to give it focus.
however:
if you move the mouse over the Topic review box of the screen (where you see previous posts) it does function like IE - it gets focus without a mouseclick! :o weird.

Oh. Okay. I see what you mean now. Yes, mine does the same. I didn't notice before because I was just going back and forth between the input text box and the topic review section. I didn't try to scroll the main browser window at the same time.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Feedback and Help