Home News Reviews Forums Shop

A backup software question

Anything else

A backup software question

Postby SkyMan on Wed Dec 31, 1969 11:56 pm

I installed a burner for a lady in a video store so she could do backups. The daily backup is pretty easy, but the Nero software that came with the burner has a complete system backup that I really don't want to use.I want to make a complete system backup that writes the data on the hd, not the blank space. The nero wants to use 18 cds to copy 11.5 gig. That is the whole partition, and is is only 16% full Thats like burning with84% of the cds copying blanks. Is there better software out there?Somthing that does a full system backup of the 3 gigs of data and leaves out the blank space?
SkyMan
Buffer Underrun

Postby smartin4 on Wed Dec 31, 1969 11:56 pm

What OS? If it is Windows 2000, there is a backup utility included. Open up My Computer and right click on the drive you want to back up. Go to the Tools tab and select Backup Now. From there, just follow the instructions.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby SkyMan on Wed Dec 31, 1969 11:56 pm

I'm not sure of the OS I am actually asking this question for a friend. I'll try to get back with the info.

Thanks
SkyMan
Buffer Underrun

Postby Han on Wed Dec 31, 1969 11:57 pm

Search the forum. I think I've answered a similar question months ago...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby NuGuy on Wed Dec 31, 1969 11:58 pm

I've broached this subject a few times in the past, and I have not seen any definitive recommendation for a good program that will back up a HDD drive, preferably using compression. A couple of promising ones did not pan out as they did not support my Lite-On 24x burner. I've searched download sites for freeware/shareware programs; found a few, but I'm reluctant to use any program without a sound endorsement.

I've been visiting this site for months now. I might have missed the solid recommendation I've been looking for, but I don't think so. (I reject Nero for the same reason SkyMan does.) So, who out there wants to back up their HDD besides me and SkyMan?

I'm thinking that Click "N Burn Pro 2.0 might have a good backup feature. (I posted my anticipation in this forum in an earlier post.) I think Ian or someone plans to do a review of this program.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby dimitri on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My personal favorite for complete partitions or the whole hdd is DriveImage from PowerQuest, version 4 and higher.
It's just great, I can't praise it enough. Most painless backup and restore procedures I've ever seen.
I really sleep better since I have it ;)

Norton Ghost comes second best.
All the best, dimitri (a.k.a digi, mango)
digi.rpc1.org | digidvd.tk
LiteOn/Jlms dvd drives: info, firmware, regional freedom :cool:
dimitri
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:02 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I just visited the PowerQuest web site, and checked the list of compatible drives -- no Lite-On drives listed.

I revisited the Norton Ghost site, and (still) no Lite-On support there, either.

I guess my best bet is to just download some freeware/shareware program and just see if it works.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby wmtanner on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:06 am

Why don't you give our Backup NOW! a try? I can tell you that it does not backup empty space when doing a drive image backup and you can also do file level backups too. There is a 30-day trial available on our website (www.ntius.com) and we support many Lite-On drives.
wmtanner
Buffer Underrun

Backup NOW!

Postby NuGuy on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:07 am

I just checked out your info on Backup NOW! (as well as DriveBackup). It looks pretty good. Thanks.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions