Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How to put CD TEXT into WAV files

Anything else

How to put CD TEXT into WAV files

Postby dforion on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:01 pm

I know Nero can add CD TEXT when burning WAV files to an audio CD, but how do I reliably add CD TEXT (Track Title and Track Artist) to a WAV file so that it is always there in the WAV file for Winamp or future burns to CD?

Thanks!
dforion
Buffer Underrun

Postby DrageMester on Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:11 pm

AFAIK you can't add tags to a WAV file.

The closest thing is to use another lossless format such as e.g. APE (Monkey's Audio) which supports tags. That way you can keep your audio lossless, assign all the usual artist/album/title tags, and you can save space!
Pioneer DVR-112L, LiteOn SHM-165P6S, Pioneer DVR-111L, BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A
LiteOn LH-20A1P, Optiarc AD-7203A, Matshita UJ-840S, Sony RDR-HX910, Sony RDR-HX750
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:38 pm

And don't forget FLAC (a new version recently came out) and WavPack.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Re: How to put CD TEXT into WAV files

Postby redk9258 on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:11 pm

DFORION wrote:I know Nero can add CD TEXT when burning WAV files to an audio CD, but how do I reliably add CD TEXT (Track Title and Track Artist) to a WAV file so that it is always there in the WAV file for Winamp or future burns to CD?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about Nero. I use Sound Forge for editing my wav files and under file properties, you can put artist info, etc.

When I bring this into Roxio the CD text tags are perfect. So there must be some part of the file that is standard.
Attachments
properties.PNG
properties.PNG (23.77 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby dforion on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 am

DrageMester wrote:AFAIK you can't add tags to a WAV file.

The closest thing is to use another lossless format such as e.g. APE (Monkey's Audio) which supports tags. That way you can keep your audio lossless, assign all the usual artist/album/title tags, and you can save space!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

But I'm a bit confused. I always used WAV files because that is what my CD ripper creates on the HD. If I convert these WAV files to APE or FLAC I can save space and add tags. Then I would have to convert these back to WAV so Nero can burn them to compilation CD's, or use the FLAC plugin for Nero? Is this correct?

Or I could just use Sound Forge to edit the tags in the WAV files.
dforion
Buffer Underrun

Postby DrageMester on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:15 am

DFORION wrote: If I convert these WAV files to APE or FLAC I can save space and add tags. Then I would have to convert these back to WAV so Nero can burn them to compilation CD's, or use the FLAC plugin for Nero? Is this correct?
I'm not familiar with the FLAC plugin for Nero nor do I use the FLAC format myself so someone else will have to comment on that.

I do use the APE (Monkey's Audio) format, and there are several programs that can play such files without converting them first, and there are also several programs that can burn them to Audio CD while converting on-the-fly.

My favourite program is J. River Media Jukebox (Shareware) but the simple and free Burrrn program can also burn APE files directly to Audio CD and so can Exact Audio Copy.
Pioneer DVR-112L, LiteOn SHM-165P6S, Pioneer DVR-111L, BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A
LiteOn LH-20A1P, Optiarc AD-7203A, Matshita UJ-840S, Sony RDR-HX910, Sony RDR-HX750
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions