Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LCD Monitor...do I have a problem?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

LCD Monitor...do I have a problem?

Postby jberry on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:43 pm

I just got a cheap Acer LCD monitor for my file server room...nothing fancy. From BestBuy. It is model AL1716F. No matter whether it is plugged into the computer or not, when the unit first powers on I see horizontal lines moving all over the screen (and flicking on and off) with the screen looking, well, a bit crazy. After about 2 mins all is ok and LCD is fine....is this a major problem. Should I get a new one? I have always used CRT so I have no clue on LCD.

thanks
First Post Made a While Back.
I Like Chocolate Milk with Dream Whip.
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:54 pm

I can see it doing that for maybe 2 seconds why it detects the resolution and refresh rate.. but 2 minutes is a bit much. I'd exchange it for another one.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby jberry on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:18 pm

ok...so you think maybe it is automatically looking for what it should do? Yah I guess 2 mins is a bit long....
First Post Made a While Back.
I Like Chocolate Milk with Dream Whip.
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Take it back.
That's why I buy monitors locally at Best Buy and Circuit City.
5 dead pixels and there outta' here!

Try that with Newegg, will ya'?
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:29 am

yeah, I learned long ago with some LCDs at work to NEVER expect LCDs to get better. We got a few in (Thankfully none I had to use) with some weird uneven lines of pixels... it was hardly noticable, no one saw it but me, so we ended up keeping the monitors.. and they got worse and worse.

I've seen other LCDs with weird shimmering/interference sort of things (Even in DVI)-- again, didn't seem bad at the time, but got worse as time went on.

I agree to return the monitor.. and keep doing it until you get one that's perfect, out of the box. It's not hard to do, although the people at the store may learn to hate you. ;) (one I had Best Buy hook up a replacement to a store PC and I went over it for about 5 minutes before taking it-- still using that monitor today 4 years later, been great! [knock on wood])
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion