Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HELP: Find news video clip and burn to CD

Anything else

HELP: Find news video clip and burn to CD

Postby NuGuy on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:43 pm

A short while ago "CBS This Morning" had segment on architect Frank Gehry. I want to find this on my HDD and convert to a format that I can burn on a DVD and also readily play on any computer. Here's the link; interesting, quite a guy:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs_this_morni ... rowing-up/

I had a difficult time finding my Temporary Internet Files folder. It used to be easy to find. In the Win7, the search option does not offer to find folders anymore.... Anyway, it is hidden. I spent a while via trial & error revealing hidden folders. It seems to be in this path:

OS(C:) --> Users --> NuGuy --> AppData --> Local --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Temporary Internet Files --> Low --> ContentIE5

Within ContentIE5 there are many folders, sortable by date and time.

What I did was run CCleaner to clear my temp files, open up DuckDuckGo search web site (minimal data downloaded there; no ads, etc.), and ran the CBS segment from my saved Favorites link. Immediately after the segment ended, I closed IE10 to minimize the amount of data I would have to look through and make my large CBS video file easier to find. I opened up the "ContentIE5" folder (this folder was the only folder that had any significant sized files in it; I did not find any large files when looking anywhere else in Temporary Internet Files or Low). Inside this ContentIE5 folder were 216 files, 244 folders. I sorted these in descending by date & time modified. There was only one among all those cryptically-named folders that had any large files. The largest file was in folder "I6MIFPDJ" at 1,593 KB. This seemed to be a pretty small file to me, but it was the largest file I could find, so I copied it and placed (isolated) it in its own folder in my Documents. It is an FLV file. So, Win7 was able to play it (anyway). (It warns you that it may not be able to run the file). This file--the largest one I was able to find--was only the half-minute ad that you are forced to watch immediately before seeing the video clip you really want to see.

I'm hoping that someone can point me to the folder that has the main CBS video clip that I view from my Favorites link, and also tell me which (& how) to get whatever format I need to burn to DVD and HDD. Thanks.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Re: HELP: Find news video clip and burn to CD

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:57 am

The video is streamed so you're probably not going to see a file there with the entire movie. You need to get a program that can capture the entire stream. Just a couple I found:

http://www.flvgrabber.com/grab-capture- ... cbs-video/

http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_str ... m/cbs.html

It looks you also have the option to buy the episode from iTunes and Amazon.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NuGuy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:58 am

Ian - Thanks! (I did not see an email saying that someone replied to my post, so this is the first time returning here....)

I'll check those links out. I was talking to a knowledgeable guy at work, and he told me to use Mozilla as my Internet browser -- it has a feature that recognizes video clips that you can direct to designated folder. I see, here, though, that this probably won't work with streaming video.

PS - I just checked / searched my email inbox -- no reply alerts regarding this thread (only my "home entertainment" thread). (Not in "Junk Mail" either.)
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Your mention of Mozilla reminded me that there may be plugins available that will do that as well. I found this one for Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dikp?hl=en

I don't use Firefox but I'm guessing there may be some for that as well.

Not sure what's up with the email notify.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NuGuy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks - I've been busy, but will investigate my saving of the video soon, however. I received your reply alert/notify email -- no problem; all is well. Previous fluke, I guess.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:55 pm

I've just spent some time trying to get flvgrabber installed and working. It seemed like a good program, especially with a free trial, etc. The installation went OK, but when I tried to open the program, nothing happened, like as if I were clicking on a blank spot on my Windows desktop. I uninstalled it. I'll try the other one -- audials -- next, tomorrow night maybe. I am not keen about trying anything by Google / Chrome....
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:27 pm

After looking around, I've decided to give Mozilla Firefox with add-ons/extensions a try. I've got Firefox installed and the add-on Video DownloadHelper. These are the things, I think, that this guy at work mentioned. There is an additional add on from Downloadhelper that will convert FLV files to another format. I'm having trouble figuring how all this works.

I find I prefer IE (I see IE11 is now out for downloading & upgrading) -- easy to find and use Tools, e.g., the Zoom feature. And I like IE's printing preview better. Oh yeah -- As I was installing Firefox, I opted to have my Favorites, Cookies, etc. imported from IE, but only a fraction of my extensive list of Favorites was imported, so that feature is useless. (I have to open a site in IE, copy the URL, then open Firefox & paste.) So, I'll use Firefox only for those occasions when I want to save a video... assuming I can figure it out. Here's some links, if you're interested:

Mozilla Firefox:https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

DownloadHelper: http://www.downloadhelper.net/index.php

and on that page is a link to: http://www.downloadhelper.net/conversion-manual.php When I read this, I thought that this feature required a separate download/add-on. Then again, maybe not.

As with most things in life, once you figure it out, it is easy.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby NuGuy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Well, I got all the Firefox w/ add-ons working, but it would not recognize or capture CBS video -- only the preceding advertisement. So, I deleted Firefox and the add-ons. The Audials program (above) looks good, but it costs about $65.... That's a lot of dough for occasional video saving. I think I'll re-try re-installing flv grabber again and hope it works out.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:16 pm

How much is it to buy the video clip from CBS?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NuGuy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:27 pm

(lol) ...because that's such an obvious solution! I'll check. But it would be nice to have a program to download YouTube video. I remember when I could just open my single, giant temp folder and find what I needed. I re-installed the flvgrabber, but it "disappeared" again. I don't know where it could be. The Firefox add-on was indicated by sort of an avatar in the very top right corner of the IE screen, and it began to spin (like a top) when it sensed a video. You then could drop a window/list of videos to save or convert & save. Anyway, thanks. I may have to purchase that and another CBS clip before they become unavailable. Thanks.
NuGuy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:48 pm

There are a lot of Youtube download programs out there. I'm guessing CBS is using something different and is trying to make it as hard as possible to download their videos.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to General Software Questions