Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can't turn Buffer Underrun Protection off?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Can't turn Buffer Underrun Protection off?

Postby paps33 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:32 am

Hi,

I'm using a (new) TDK 4800B, firmware S7S5, and Nero 5.5.9.17 on a Win98SE system (with latest adaptec ASPI). In any of the places/screens where the option to turn buffer underrun protection on or off appears the box is checked (on) and greyed out. Shouldn't I be able to enable/disable protection with this drive (as with others)? Is this normal, a Nero issue, a drive issue? The drive is identified and seems to otherwise operate normally. The only thing I can change is whether SMART-BURN is used or not under the recorders options.
paps33
Buffer Underrun

Postby Action Jackson on Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:31 am

In Nero, if you click on "Recorder" - "Choose Recorder", you'll see an "Option" or "Advanced" tab.

There you should be able to disable SmartBURN.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:06 pm

If there is no option to turn buffer underrun protection off, it is because there is no benefit in doing so.

The only things that can happen without buffer underrun protection are bad (coasters). There is nothing to be gained, performance or otherwise in turning it off.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:18 pm

It is normal for newer LiteOn or LiteOn based drives. You can turn off SMART-BURN to allow choosing of higher burn speeds than SMART-BURN would allow, but you can't turn off the buffer underrun protection.

I agree with Inertia that there isn't any point in turning off buffer underrun protection anyway. I can do it on my Yamaha CRW3200EZ, but never do. The only reason I can possibly think for wanting to do it (and this is really stretching it) is for audiophile fanatics who think links in the CD are abhorrent. Such a person might rather have a coaster (so that they know a buffer underrun occurred) than an apparently flawless disc that has a link or two embedded in it. Of course, if they can't hear that link anyway, then why should they care.... :roll:

cfitz

<edit>Now that I think a little more about it - turning off buffer underrun protection might be important to someone making a master for duplication. In this case links might really be undesirable, so generating a coaster instead of working, but linked, CD-R may be better.
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby paps33 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:01 pm

Thanks for the info so far.

I agree that for the most part there is not benefit to turning protection off, but there are a couple cases. My main concern was/is that if this should be a changeable option with my drive then the fact that I can't change it signals a problem somewhere. As I say, SMART-BURN can be enabled and disabled. But Buffer Underrun Protection shows up (both where Action Jackson refers to, as well as in the final burn dialog), the box is there. Its just that it is pre-checked (enabled) and greyed out so I can't change it. I have another Liteon based drives, a Sony CRX195, and there is no issue turning protection on and off with it. As a result I would question the idea that this is a "liteon thing".

If anyone else has the tdk I would be curious as to a confirmation that they too can't alter buffer under run protection.

EDIT: OK, I just read through Ian's review of this drive here. In his review he shows the following image:

This confirms what I am seeing. So I guess it is normal. I've just never run in to a case where protection was present but couldn't be toggled on and off.
paps33
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:42 pm

paps33 wrote:I have another Liteon based drives, a Sony CRX195, and there is no issue turning protection on and off with it. As a result I would question the idea that this is a "liteon thing".

The key to my comment was newer LiteOn and LiteOn based drives. Buffer underrun protection on my Memorex 48x24x48 can't be disabled. Nor can it on the Sony CRX210A1, LTR-48125W, LTR-48246S, TDK VeloCD 40x12x48, TDK VeloCD 48x24x48, etc.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Action Jackson on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:30 pm

I can turn off SmartBURN on my 52x Litey but I would prefer to leave it on for coaster prevention.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:33 pm

Action Jackson wrote:I can turn off SmartBURN on my 52x Litey but I would prefer to leave it on for coaster prevention.

Yes, all of the mentioned drives (in fact, all LiteOn or LiteOn based drives, as far as I know) can still have SMART-BURN disabled. They just can't have buffer underrun protection disabled. Buffer underrun protection and SMART-BURN aren't the same thing.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby paps33 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:59 pm

My CRX195 is the same as the LTR-48125W (mentioned), with firmware VS08 from http://www.sony195.cjb.net installed. Buffer underrun protection can still be enabled/disabled (in Nero for example). Also, with this drive/firmware there is no SMART-BURN, instead it is called "generic write control", which can be enabled/disabled as well.
paps33
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:08 pm

Then it must depend on the firmware. Sony, unlike some other OEMs, does customize their firmware - it isn't the same as straight LiteOn firmware.

In any event, as you already found out, your drive is okay and behaving as it should.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby paps33 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:12 pm

Perhaps so. But the VS08 firware I mentioned is suppose to simply be liteon firmware hacked to retain the Sony name/model (according to the site mentioned).

But yes, my tdk seems "normal". Thanks again.
paps33
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:28 pm

Since the drive is still identified as a Sony after the hacked firmware is burned, Nero probably continues to treat it as if it were a Sony with true Sony firmware. In this case, the fact that Nero shows the ability to disable buffer underrun protection might not mean anything. Checking or unchecking the box may have no effect.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:51 am

Here is what SMARTBURN.exe (a free program from LiteOn that will tell you various information about media, including the speed at which SMART-BURN enabled LiteOn burners will burn it) has to say about the matter:

Since LITE-ON 32/40/48X CD-RW drive, Buffer Underrun Protection
Feature is always activated. The new feature of SMART-BURN is
to check CD-R/RW media quality and set burning speed limit
base on this. The burning speed will be limited by the
"SMART-BURN Speed Limit" shown on PC screen.

Once the Media Manufacturer is identificated by the program, it
means LITE-ON CD-RW drive will use dedicated writing strategy
& running optimal power calibration to secure the burning quality.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)