Home News Reviews Forums Shop

probleming regarding drive testing in "CD-ROM round up&

How fast is too fast?

probleming regarding drive testing in "CD-ROM round up&

Postby freestyle on Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:36 pm

i have a 52x creative cd-rom tested in CDRLabs test. I run on windows XP and for whatever reason when i try tests with Nero CD SPeed, i get reads speeds of about 18x! when i burn on the fly it burns at like 8x max on a 48x burner! the cd-rom is sec. slave to burner. why am i having this problem? thax
freestyle
Buffer Underrun

Postby freestyle on Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:43 pm

ok i moved the cd-rom from the secondary slave to the primary slave. i only increased a minor increase by about 2-3x. its on PIO mode 4 and will not go to DMA mode in windows or in bios. is there ant way to make it multi-word dma or anything? i really wanna burn on the fly w/o buying a new cd/dvd rom. thank you
freestyle
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:42 pm

Sometimes you have to uninstall the drive or/and the IDE channel before succeeding in enabling DMA . I had some issues like this with some drives in some cases .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:09 am

cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby freestyle on Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:53 am

yes ive done all of that before, uninstalling, going into registry, reading faqs none have work unfortunately. any other tips? im getting deseperate hehe

thx
freestyle
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:42 am

freestyle wrote:ok i moved the cd-rom from the secondary slave to the primary slave. i only increased a minor increase by about 2-3x. its on PIO mode 4 and will not go to DMA mode in windows or in bios. is there ant way to make it multi-word dma or anything? i really wanna burn on the fly w/o buying a new cd/dvd rom. thank you

By default the drive supports PIO Mode 4 (check the BIOS when it boots). If I remember correctly, there is a jumper on the back of the drive that when enabled, will make it UDMA 2.

Of course, you're not really going to see that much of a performance boost by doing that.

Have you tried other discs? Are you using a Mode 1 data CD? If its a CD-R, is the disc finalized/closed?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby freestyle on Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:58 pm

I saw the mention of the jumper either on this site or somewhere else; but for some reason never bothered to check, even when changing ide channels.

Probably due to when i email Creative and they told me it does not support UMDA. Stupid support.

Anyways, to the point, it worked and its performing on par, although i encountered different errors at one time or another when running, probably cause of cds.

Thank you I'm very grateful you opened my eyes to my lazyness lol

Thanks again!
freestyle
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives