Home News Reviews Forums Shop

best cdrom drive to read cd's from various sources

How fast is too fast?

best cdrom drive to read cd's from various sources

Postby Steve Raiford on Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:05 pm

Does anyone have experience on which cd-rom reader performs the best with data media recorderd on other machines with various brands of media? I find media that reads on drive A but not B, and other times media that will read on B but not A. I am looking for a drive that is the best in reading various media. any opinions?

Added info: My current cd-roms that are giving us problems reading are all newer (6 to 18 months old) Mitsui cd-roms. Bought 5 PCs at various times, all with Mitsumi cd-roms.

Thanks
Last edited by Steve Raiford on Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Raiford
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:03 pm

Reading shouldn't be a problem for newer CD-ROM drives. I have an old 24X Creative (Matsushita/Panasonic) CD-ROM drive that chokes on Hitachi Maxell media, but it reads everything else fine. Compare this to my 48X Lite-On CD-ROM, it can read anything I have put in it, including the Hitachi Maxell discs. Newer is sometimes better, and so is having the latest firmware. If your drive cannot read a certain kind of media, try updating the firmware, it may be able to read the disc after the upgrade.

For firmware, visit http://www.firmware-flash.com
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives