Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can't write to blank CD-R

Burn baby burn!

Can't write to blank CD-R

Postby amoebas on Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:31 pm

:cry: I just bought a Sony Vaio a couple of months ago and have emailed Sony support several times and they haven't answered, so your my next hope! I haven't been able to write to a blank CD-R. I can write to a CD that has already been written to and I can write to a CD-RW. I have tried several types of CDs - Maxwell, Verbatim and Imitation. I have WinXP and a NEC CDRW. NEC doesn't have any support. I go through all the motions of writing to the CD, and when you actually look at the CD surface itself it appears that it has been written to, but I can't see any files on the CD when in the drive. I have even tried viewing it in another computer, but I can't even get the CD to open properly. It's like the drive keeps searching. I tried disabling IMAPI and installed Nero, but I'm getting the same thing. I then tried Easy CD Creator, thinking that like my older computer I needed to format the CD first, but I'm getting an error message which according to Roxio's site they say there is a virus. I checked Symantec's website, downloaded a tool to find and delete, but according to that, there is no virus. I can't find any information on Microsoft's website and I have downloaded all the appropriate service packs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stacy
amoebas
Buffer Underrun

Re: Can't write to blank CD-R

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:44 pm

amoebas wrote:I then tried Easy CD reator, thinking that like my older computer I needed to format the CD first...

that sounds suspicious.
what do you mean "write to a CD?
do you mean burn a CD with a program such as Nero, Easy CD Creator?
or do you mean you drag a file in windows explorer from the hard drive to the explorer window of the CD drive?
these are two very different things...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

can't write to CD Writer

Postby amoebas on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:23 pm

In WIN XP you click on the file, and on the side there is a section that says "CD Writing Tasks" and then under that "write these files to CD". It then places the files in a temporary location. On the bottom right corner of the task bar you then get a message saying there are files waiting to be written to CD. However, even in Nero it asks what you would like to burn to CD. I have only tried to burn data, not music or videos/pictures. When you click on burn data CD it then asks you to drop and drag the files from windows explorer. If I'm doing something wrong, then great, the solution should be easy, however, as far as I am aware of I'm doing every thing right.

Thanks.
amoebas
Buffer Underrun

Re: can't write to CD Writer

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:03 pm

amoebas wrote:In WIN XP you click on the file, and on the side there is a section that says "CD Writing Tasks" and then under that "write these files to CD". It then places the files in a temporary location. On the bottom right corner of the task bar you then get a message saying there are files waiting to be written to CD.

this is using windows XP built-in burning capabilities.
DON'T!

if you want to burn some files to a data CD, run Nero, start a new compilation, drag the files you want to burn from an explorer window (or from the explorer built into Nero) into the Nero compilation window, and then click the "burn" icon (or File->Write CD).

amoebas wrote:However, even in Nero it asks what you would like to burn to CD.

of course. Nero will not know about the temporary location where windows XP keeps the files you "marked" to be burnt and all the dragging and dropping you've done.

i hope it's clearer now.

in Nero, click on the 5th icon from the left in the toolbar - the icon that pops up the text "Switches to Nero Express".
try using Nero Express, it is supposed to be much easier for beginners to handle, with simple step by step instructions on exactly what to do.

good luck! :D and don't hesitate to come and ask more questions!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives