Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Difference btwn LiteOn LTD-166S vs XJ-166s

How fast is too fast?

Difference btwn LiteOn LTD-166S vs XJ-166s

Postby Para on Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:51 pm

I bought the XJ-1662 from NewEgg after having returned the LTD-166S from another company (defective). I was utterly surprised (and dissapointed) to see that the XJ only has the eject button (not even a headset socket) when the LTD drive had that and a "forward" button...

(I didn't even notice that the XJ looked different... Frankly I thought they were exactly the same and kinda remember reading something posted on the net saying they were exactly the same drives. They're not)

Of course these buttons are not 100% necessary... What's the difference between the two? I've searched all over the web and can't find a thing...

I'm pretty angry at myself for not having read the fine print...but I could have *sworn* that the pictures I saw for the XJ on NewEgg looked EXACTLY like the LTD-166S drive (and that's why I was so quick to purchase it).

Should I return it and ask for a refund/exchange for the LTD-166S? :(
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:55 pm

I was pretty sure that they were the exact same drive. What is the firmware version on teh drive? Maybe you have some kind of OEM version, or even a newer version...
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby Para on Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:03 pm

Yeah...newegg said it was OEM.

I'm not sure how to get the firmware version (I'm still obviously not an expert at this).

The drive says on top it was manufacturered in Feb 2003...

Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1336&catalog=55&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1 (It's the $36.00 near the bottom of the list)

And the picture is at...
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=27-131-603-04.JPG/27-131-603-05.JPG/27-131-603-02.jpg

Ideas?
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:21 pm

Isn't the XJ- model number the new model number for the JLMS joint venture, while LTD- was the old model number when the drives were still sold as LiteOn's? I suspect that is the main reason for the change in model number. Obviously I can't say with authority, but I suspect that the change in features that Para has reported is incidental to the model number change and if they still made LTD- models they would also be lacking the phone-jack and forward button. So perhaps if those features are important to a potential buyer, he should try to find one of the older models with LTD- number.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dhc014 on Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:36 pm

I am willing to bet that the features are still present, but the OEM black faceplate left them out. You can check your firmware version by using tools like Nero InfoTool that can be found in the Nero Toolkit in the Start Menu if you have Nero Burning ROM installed. Otherwise you can get it from http://www.cdspeed2000.com

If it is a firmware that I don't have I'll have to ask you to make a backup of it (using mtkflash in DOS) and send it to me ;)

You can't really complain to newegg about it not having the buttons since they took the trouble of providing pictures of the drive... :(
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:25 am

They are exactly the same drive. The name changed with a recent firmware update. In fact, if you update the LTD-166S drive with the latest firmware, the computer will "see" it as an XJ-166S. You probably have an OEM version or something like that which doesn't have the volume control and headphone port. I have noticed that many OEM drives in pre-built computers omit these features.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby vbl117 on Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:33 am

dhc014 wrote:You can't really complain to newegg about it not having the buttons since they took the trouble of providing pictures of the drive... :(

Perhaps they have changed the thumbnail . Some of OEM drives sold are still shown by a picture in which they looks like the LTD-166S .

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp ... 112-03.JPG

I would ask if these pictures show the truth . If not , i would ask them to change the pictures . If they are showing the truth i would ask for an drive exchange .

Too bad their OEM drives have no more "play" button .
Para , you have an OEM drive and the internal hardware is perhaps a bit different . You ll keep it or return it but it would be nice if with Nero Info Tool you gave us the Firmware revision ( which in this case could be different from retail models ) .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Para on Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:56 am

I'll check the firmware version today after I get home from a few errands.

The picture definately changed from when I was there a few days ago -- I'm pretty sure that I checked and double checked all the pictures, and I thought I was getting the same LTD-type drive (with the headset slot and such)...

I'm going to call them and see what my options are today, because I'm interested in getting one of the LTD drives.

Either which way, I'll stray away from the LiteOn OEMs now that I know they omit basic features...

Again, I'll get the firmware today...
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:09 am

Para wrote:I'll check the firmware version today after I get home from a few errands.

The picture definately changed from when I was there a few days ago -- I'm pretty sure that I checked and double checked all the pictures, and I thought I was getting the same LTD-type drive (with the headset slot and such)...

I'm going to call them and see what my options are today, because I'm interested in getting one of the LTD drives.

Either which way, I'll stray away from the LiteOn OEMs now that I know they omit basic features...

Again, I'll get the firmware today...

Don't worry about getting the Firmware , it's not that important .
I guess that they have changed their pictures after your first mail to their support :evil: Perhaps you could prove it ( if you needed to prove it in your relations with Newegg ) . With some search motors ( google for example ) you can have the "cached" version of the HTML which is the ancient version of the page . Don't know if it works for pictures and if you could retrieve the ancient picture .
You don't want anymore OEM Lite On drives , ok i understand .
You could ask for a Retail Lite On drive replacement but they are out of stock ( will you trust them when they 'll say the'll have them in stock in a week ? Should you ? ) . You could also have a replacement drive from other brands but i doubt it could be a good solution . This is their fault , they had not to put wrong pictures . If you can't find an satisfactory agreement with them for a replacement you should demand a refund ( and you'll return the drive ) . You could buy your drive somewhere else ( perhaps looking in buy and sell forum or asking advices ) .

See You Soon
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:04 pm

vbl117 wrote:
Don't worry about getting the Firmware , it's not that important .
I guess that they have changed their pictures after your first mail to their support :evil: Perhaps you could prove it ( if you needed to prove it in your relations with Newegg ) . With some search motors ( google for example ) you can have the "cached" version of the HTML which is the ancient version of the page . Don't know if it works for pictures and if you could retrieve the ancient picture .
You don't want anymore OEM Lite On drives , ok i understand .
You could ask for a Retail Lite On drive replacement but they are out of stock ( will you trust them when they 'll say the'll have them in stock in a week ? Should you ? ) . You could also have a replacement drive from other brands but i doubt it could be a good solution . This is their fault , they had not to put wrong pictures . If you can't find an satisfactory agreement with them for a replacement you should demand a refund ( and you'll return the drive ) . You could buy your drive somewhere else ( perhaps looking in buy and sell forum or asking advices ) .

See You Soon

Good advice. :)

I'm not that angry about it. If it's that bad, I'll just pay the $6 restocking fee (not that horrible)... I just wondered what the difference was. This was my first experience with NewEgg and I'm not upset enough about it to stop shopping with them...

Cheap products, cheap/fast shipping, and let's hope good cust. support :)

Postby dhc014 on Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:05 pm

Actually, please do worry about the firmware, it does matter to some people.

newegg did not change the pictures. They have two versions of the black 166S drive available. He bought the version that was pictured without the play button or volume control/headphone jacks.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:54 pm

dhc014,

I'm pretty sure the picture I saw before did have a volume control and headset jack...

I might be wrong here, but I could have sworn I checked the pictures! As a matter of a fact, I remember I had to check the newegg "price alert" number to see if there was a difference in the two drives b/c I was shocked that both drives were the different prices with the same picture.

:-?

Postby Para on Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:dhc014,

I'm pretty sure the picture I saw before did have a volume control and headset jack...

I might be wrong here, but I could have sworn I checked the pictures! As a matter of a fact, I remember I had to check the newegg "price alert" number to see if there was a difference in the two drives b/c I was shocked that both drives were the different prices with the same picture.

:-?

Sorry, that was me posting (I just forgot to log in :))
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:07 pm

Ahh, I see. You could complain then, they are a good company and would probably be willing to help. Don't forget about the firmware now! ;)
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby Para on Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:44 pm

I'm not sure if this is it.

Says JLMS XJ-HD166S VDS14...

Is that it?
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby Para on Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:02 pm

They were really nice to me and gave me an RMA to return the drive (without restocking fee, which is what I was worried about).

Now I gotta wait until the LTD is in stock.
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby vbl117 on Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:10 am

Para wrote:I'm not sure if this is it.

Says JLMS XJ-HD166S VDS14...

Is that it?

Yes , it is the latest Firmware which can also be downloaded directly from JLMS website . Thanks for checking .
It means OEM drives internal hardware is identical with RETAIL drives .

Happy you found an agreement .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Para on Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:22 am

vbl117 wrote:
Yes , it is the latest Firmware which can also be downloaded directly from JLMS website . Thanks for checking .
It means OEM drives internal hardware is identical with RETAIL drives .

Happy you found an agreement .

No prob! :wink:

Thanks y'all for your help!
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby Para on Sat May 03, 2003 1:47 pm

Sorry to revive such an old thread...

I've been waiting for NewEgg to start carrying the LTD-166S (as opposed to the XJ-166S). There is a difference: the XJ doesn't have "next track" button, the headset slot, etc...

I've looked all over pricewatch and there are very few places that now carry the LTD-166S (with the button and the headset slot). Is the LTD phasing out forever? Why is it that the XJ model is a bear drive without the headset slot or the button?

Doesn't make sense why they would almost "downgrade" a model and stop carrying the other. NewEgg hasn't had this drive in stock for almost a month now! :cry:
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Sat May 03, 2003 6:09 pm

Para, I see two different XJ-HD166S models on newegg that have the headphone jack and next track button. You bought the OEM version which was made for some company like Dell of HP or something to not have the jack or Next track button. I would be willing to bet that the jack and pushbuttons are only covered up by the OEM faceplate.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby Para on Sat May 03, 2003 10:16 pm

Yeah...

The only black XJ model doesn't have the headset or the next track button. That's a real shame, becuase the LTD is the only black LiteOn DVD-ROM that actually has those features, but it hasn't been in stock in a really really long time. I'm starting to think they phased it out or NewEgg isn't going to carry any more of them.

Not really sure what to do. Most of the ones on PriceWatch are no longer LTD and are now XJ models (black and OEM, which again means no button or jack).

:roll: :cry:
Para
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Sun May 04, 2003 12:26 am

Black and OEM does not necessarily mean that they will have no headphone jack or next button. Ask the shop...

BTW, the "Lite-On 16x DVD Model LTD-166S Black" is an OEM as well. Don't expect newegg to ever get anything called a LTD166S in stock again since they are no longer manufactured with that name.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Optical Drive Jacks Suck

Postby NeilPeart on Tue May 06, 2003 4:34 am

Just to let you know: the headphone jacks on most optical drives feature a craptastic 50 - 65 dB! This is about the same nr ratio as an audio cassette. A CD has a 90 or above NR, while a DVD has 105 - 115 dB. The awful sound of the LTD-166S' jack would even be noticeable on cheap $10 headphones. Do yourself a favor and use the soundcard's output (even a cheap integrated sound chip would sound much better).
Drives I Own:

Asus S520/A, Plextor UltraPlex 40TSi, Lite-on XJ-HD166S, Pioneer DVD-106S, Toshiba SD-M1712, Plextor PX-R820Ti, Plextor PX-W1210TS, Plextor Premium, Samsung SM-352B, Teac CD-W540E, Yamaha CRW-F1, Plextor PX-708A, Sony DRU-510A
NeilPeart
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives