Home News Reviews Forums Shop

More Info Released on Nero 6.0

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

More Info Released on Nero 6.0

Postby tazdevl on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:31 pm

RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:38 pm

Or if you live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico:

http://www.ahead.de/en/content/c1055950 ... 5950278882
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up tazdevl.

For those too lazy to click the mouse, here's the 411 on upgrading from Nero 5.5 to 6.

When will Nero 6 be released?

Nero 6 will be available on July 18th at www.nero.com

Nero 6 will be available on August 18th at all major retailers.

How much will Nero 6 cost ?

$79,99 Nero 6 Boxed version
$59.99 Nero 6 Download version

How much will Nero 6 Ultra Edition cost ?

$99,99 Nero 6 Ultra Edition Boxed version (Available at your local retail store.)
$69.99 Nero 6 Ultra Edition Download version

Who will get an upgrade for free?

All users who have purchased the Nero 5.5 Retailbox version (NOT the OEM version that came bundled with your drive
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:34 pm

Corrections:

How much will Nero 6 cost ?

$79,99 Nero 6 Boxed version
$59.99 Nero 6 Download version

For those outside of Canada/Mexico/US.

How much will Nero 6 Ultra Edition cost ?

$99,99 Nero 6 Ultra Edition Boxed version (Available at your local retail store.)
$69.99 Nero 6 Ultra Edition Download version

For those inside Canada/Mexico/US. What do you get for the extra $10-$20? It appears that the only "extra" is NeroMix.

Who will get an upgrade for free?

All users who have purchased the Nero 5.5 Retailbox version (NOT the OEM version that came bundled with your drive

All users who have purchased the Nero 5.5 Retailbox version (NOT the OEM version that came bundled with your drive or PC) after the 1st of May 2003, will receive a free e-mail upgrade to Nero 6.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:38 pm

Oh, and the download upgrade for licensed owners of earlier versions of Nero (as opposed to new purchases) is $39.99 for those outside Canada/Mexico/US, $49.99 for those inside Canada/Mexico/US.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby burninfool on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:44 pm

$100USD for Nero?Nero is good but for $70 you can get Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD,a much better program.
http://www.buypcsoft.com/product.asp?productID=1689
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:49 pm

Hmm.. ok this is the way I'm understanding this.

The pricing for outside the US is for Nero 6 only.

The pricing inside the US is for Nero 6 Ultra Edition. The Ultra Edition includes all the extra stuff like NeroVision, the MPEG-2/DVD and AAC plugins, etc. That's probably where the extra cost is coming from.

cfitz, thats for pointing out the "after the 1st of May 2003" thing. That got cut off on my cut and paste.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:58 pm

burninfool wrote:$100USD for Nero?Nero is good but for $70 you can get Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD,a much better program.
http://www.buypcsoft.com/product.asp?productID=1689

Yeah, I really do like Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD a lot. It's a real nice program.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:22 pm

Ian wrote:Hmm.. ok this is the way I'm understanding this.

The pricing inside the US is for Nero 6 Ultra Edition. The Ultra Edition includes all the extra stuff like NeroVision, the MPEG-2/DVD and AAC plugins, etc. That's probably where the extra cost is coming from.

I was wondering the same, except Nero Vision Express, MPEG-2/DVD, MPEG-4, HE-AAC, etc. are all listed as features on the outside Canada/Mexico/US page as well. It is a bit unclear though, since they mix the use of terms "Nero 6" and "Nero 6 Ultra" on both pages. But just by comparing what is listed on the one page against what is listed on the other, the only difference I see, other than the prices, is that the inside Canada/Mexico/US Ultra edition subitutes Nero Mix for Nero Media Player found in the outside Canada/Mexico/US edition. Maybe Craig Campbell could get this cleared up. Or we could just wait until July 18. :wink:

Ian wrote:cfitz, thats for pointing out the "after the 1st of May 2003" thing. That got cut off on my cut and paste.

You're welcome.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:42 am

All I can say is...me want, me want! Mmmmmmmm...Nero 6 Ultra... *salivates*
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:54 am

Maybe version 6.x will burn DVD Video that can be played on ALL DVD players that support recordable DVDs.
Nero 5.5 seems to still have issues for many users based on forum posts.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Nero 6 and Nero 6 Ultra Edition

Postby ueberlein on Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:21 am

Dear all,

there seems to be some confusion on our product launch. Please give me the chance to explain a little:

Nero 6 Ultra Edition: USA/CANADA/MEXICO Launch 18th of July 2003 (Only available in USA/CANADA/MEXICO)
Pricing: Box US$99,99 Serial no. web US$ 69,99 Upgrade from 5.5 Serial no. US$ 49,99 Upgrade for 5.5. users who bought after May 1st 2003 - FREE!

Nero 6: REST OF WORLD PACKAGE Launch 18th of August 2003
(NOT AVAILABLE in USA/CANADA/MEXICO)
Pricing: Box: US$ 79,99 Serial no. web US$ 59,99 Ugrade for 5.5. users who bought after May 1st 2003 - FREE!

Nero 6 Ultra Edition includes NeroMIX.

Both suites include MPEG 4 HE-AAC unlimited encoding and will include our own MPEG-4 video encoding codec!
:D

Finally there is a 100% all-in-one product that does really everything including a DVD/SVCD/VCD playback solution which supports all formats including MPEG-4 !!!

All technology in in-house!!!

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Craig Campbell will be giving some further comments soon as we are currently all at CeBIT New York promoting the product

Thanks for your interest!
Ahead Software Inc.
Udo Eberlein
President

Nero - .... because technology counts
ueberlein
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:41 am

Thank you for the clarification, Mr. Eberlein. However, I have to say that as a North American, I'm not too happy about having to pay 25% more to upgrade my Nero 5.5 license than the rest of the world, particularly since the only extra feature included in Nero 6 Ultra compared to plain Nero 6 is NeroMIX. I never use software like NeroMIX anyway.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: Nero 6 and Nero 6 Ultra Edition

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:55 pm

ueberlein wrote:Nero 6 Ultra Edition: USA/CANADA/MEXICO Launch 18th of July 2003 (Only available in USA/CANADA/MEXICO)
Pricing: Box US$99,99 Serial no. web US$ 69,99 Upgrade from 5.5 Serial no. US$ 49,99 Upgrade for 5.5. users who bought after May 1st 2003 - FREE!

Nero 6: REST OF WORLD PACKAGE Launch 18th of August 2003
(NOT AVAILABLE in USA/CANADA/MEXICO)
Pricing: Box: US$ 79,99 Serial no. web US$ 59,99 Ugrade for 5.5. users who bought after May 1st 2003 - FREE!

there is no Upgrade from 5.5 Serial no. for the rest of the world. is this just an ommision?
why doesn't the rest of the world get to get the Ultra (i.e. the NeroMIX) for the small extra fee too?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:31 pm

particularly since the only extra feature included in Nero 6 Ultra compared to plain Nero 6 is NeroMIX

Somewhere, there is a new capability for back up and drive imageing (and I assume disaster recovery capability) that isn't present in 5.5. It is not clear whether it is included in 6 (plain) or 6 Ultra, or chunklets in both places. However, if it is there, one no longer needs separate app's like Dantz Retrospect, Stomp Backup my PC, Norton Ghost, PowerQuest Drive Image, etc.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Nero 6 Ultra Edition / Nero 6 --- Pinnacle

Postby ueberlein on Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:10 pm

Hi everyone,

can I please ask for your patience in judging an application that you haven't seen. Of course I understand that everyone has a preference in choosing software and of course we don't expect everyone to love Nero, but to make comments about a software that you haven't seen yet, would be very premature.

Believe me, Nero 6 / Nero 6 Ultra Edition will not disappoint everyone's needs. It really includes everyhting you need and new functionalities will be added continuously as done in the past.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. July 18th is the day!

Best regards
AHEAD SOFTWARE INC.
Udo Eberlein
ueberlein
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:29 pm

Mr. Eberlein,

I don't think people are making judgments about Nero 6. Many people just had questions about the difference in prices for the different markets.

I don't think many people know what NeroMIX is or what it can do. It has been overshadowed by many of Ahead's other products. Explaining the features/benefits of it, might make some feel better about spending the extra $10-$20.

Ian
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby jmbrown12 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:25 pm

Although I have not used it NeroMIX looks pretty good. Will this statement pertain to the version included in version 6?

"Due to licensing restrictions, NeroMIX includes a trial version of our MP3/mp3PRO Encoder which lets you encode up to 30 audio tracks. Unlimited MP3/mp3PRO Plug-in (single-user license, sent by email) available at a small additional cost
jmbrown12
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:44 pm

thanks you for the clarification about the upgrade from 5.5 outside the Americas, Mr. Eberlein.
Mr. Eberlein wrote:please note I did forget to include the upgrade costs for existing 5.5. users who are NOT in USA / MEXICO / CANADA. These are US$ 39,99 for the download version. The other prices were mentioned in my earlier post.

another question if i may:
can you clarify exactly what's the difference between the "regular" Nero 6 and the Ultra Edition? is the difference just the inclusion of NeroMIX instead of the Nero Media Player, or are there other differences too
Last edited by dodecahedron on Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:33 am

Can you qualify for the "upgrade" price if you have a version of Nero 5.5 that came bundled with a drive? Thanks! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:12 pm

Can you qualify for the "upgrade" price if you have a version of Nero 5.5 that came bundled with a drive? Thanks!

I agree!

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:18 pm

Hopefully enough QA will be conducted as well. Too many "betas" seem to be hitting the public of late.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Upgrade

Postby ueberlein on Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:18 pm

Hi everyone,

certainly, everyone who owns 5.5., no matter if you bought retail or if you got it bundled with your drive, will receive a serial no. upgrade at US$ 49,99. (USA/CANADA/MEXICO). Details on www.nero.com

We want people to continue using Nero and with all the features and functionalities added to the Nero 6 Ultra Edition and Nero 6, we believe the pricing is very attractive.

As to all the features and functionalities regarding NeroMIX, please refer to our website.

I also do not want to talk about what the difference is between Nero 6 UE and Nero 6. I would prefer to talk about what is new in Nero 6 as that is I think the main interest at this point. Thank you for your understanding! :D

Thank you everyone for your interest and have a great weekend.
I am signing off on this thread for now.
Best regards
AHEAD SOFTWARE INC.
Udo Eberlein
ueberlein
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:34 pm

cfitz wrote:
Ian wrote:Hmm.. ok this is the way I'm understanding this.

I was wondering the same, except Nero Vision Express, MPEG-2/DVD, MPEG-4, HE-AAC, etc. are all listed as features on the outside Canada/Mexico/US page as well. It is a bit unclear though, since they mix the use of terms "Nero 6" and "Nero 6 Ultra" on both pages. But just by comparing what is listed on the one page against what is listed on the other, the only difference I see, other than the prices, is that the inside Canada/Mexico/US Ultra edition subitutes Nero Mix for Nero Media Player found in the outside Canada/Mexico/US edition. Maybe Craig Campbell could get this cleared up. Or we could just wait until July 18. :wink:

Ian wrote:cfitz, thats for pointing out the "after the 1st of May 2003" thing. That got cut off on my cut and paste.

You're welcome.

cfitz

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay in my response, but as Mr. Eberlein had mentioned, I was occupied with the CeBit show all week.

As for the differences between Nero 6 Retail for European markets and Nero 6 Ultra Edition for US markets, as mentioned by others, the only differences is the NeroMix software, which is a $50 dollar product. The Nero 6 Retail version for Europe will receive Nero Media Player instead of NeroMix. So you are getting a $50 dollar product for $20.

You will see a number of major changes with Nero 6, and you will see that we have been listening to all the forums recommendations. Just to name a very few of the new features, as there are too many to list them all:

- An even more user freindly interface than Nero Express, provide 3 click solutions
- support for file names over the Joliet 64 character limit
- support for creating ISO image files
- support for mounting ISO image files with NeroImageDrive
- support for copying CD+G CD's
- support for copying data from within Nero to the clipboard or copy from clipboard into Nero
- support for scheduleing backups, or creating jobs for backups
- support for capturing audio from LP's and cassettes and automatically splitting songs into individual files
- one click erase feature
- more advanced yet easy to use Video editing features in Nero Vision Express 2
- Audio overlay for SlideShow
- support for more than 99 jpegs when creating slideshows
- DVD, SVCD, VCD, MPEG4 Video playback solution (no need for PowerDVD or WinDVD)

And of course there is more.

And for an upgrade cost of $49.99, this is a bargin. If you were to add up all the different programs you are getting, and the cost that could be associated with it. It's hard to even consider it as a simple upgrade. For example.

DVD Playing Software would cost you $69.95 for a full blown version
Backup Utiliyt would cost you at least $39.95
DVD Authoring Software would cost you $99.99 for as full a feature version as we supply
Audio Editing software $69.99, if not more
Media Player Software $29.99 (that does recording and extracting as well)

If you take all that into account, and for the moment do not even consider all the enhancements and improvements in the Nero Program itself, you have reason enough to purchase the upgrade. With the numbers above alone, and these are numbers I pulled off the websites from programs that are similar in capabilities, you have a cost of $309.87 to purchase these features individually. And now we add on to this the new enhancements of Nero 6 that increase the power and ease of use of our Nero software that is reason enough to charge an upgrade of $49.99, you should be paying $359.99 for all this. And yet, you get this all in one package for an upgrade fee of $49.99.

I do not know of any other recording bundle on the market today that provides all of the above at a similar cost. Or one that would put the 2 years or more of development into the full product bundle and then give it a way as we are doing for such a low cost. Those public companies have to account for all their time and money spent on development to their stock holders. Being a private company, we can concentrate one what the End User needs and wants.

So, yes, the US market is paying $20 dollars more for a $50 dollar NeroMix product bundled in our Retail product in the Retail store. But we need to look at the full picture here. This one issue is not much of a negative, as compared to all the positive. And they are getting a very powerful program for that extra $20. So it's not as if we were charging them more without giving them something in return.

Best Regards,

Craig
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:48 pm

Thanks for the additional confirmation and explanation, Craig.

Ahead is certainly free to set prices as they see fit, and will do so to maximize its profits. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. But then we customers are free to gripe and chose to upgrade or not as well, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that either. 8)

For what it is worth, by segregating the product as Ahead has chosen to do, Ahead will inevitably alienate some customers. Some in North America will say "Nero Mix?!? I'll never use that. What a ripoff! I don't want to pay $20 more for something I don't need and won't use." And some outside of North America will say "What?!? No Nero Mix? That's a great product. Why can't I get it for only $10 more like the North Americans? What a ripoff!" There is no pleasing everyone... :wink:

I'm stuck in the "Why pay 25% more for a product I won't use?" camp, but such is life... :( Maybe when I see all the other new features in actual use I will be overwhelmed and forget about the extra 25% as Mr. Eberlein wants me to. If not, Nero 5.5 has served me well in the past, and I can continue using it.

As far as incorporating suggestions made in the forums, there is one minor nit that could be easily helped. It may be too late to mention for July 18'th (or maybe not, it involves only a simply resource change), but would it be possible to change the default icon for files imported from previous sessions of a multi-session CD that are no longer in their original locations on the hard drive? The red X makes it look like the files are to be deleted, which is not the case.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)