Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD Liteon 163 ltd xp problems

How fast is too fast?

DVD Liteon 163 ltd xp problems

Postby condecd1 on Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:35 pm

Hi, I´m having trouble with my dvd drive (liteon 163 ltd), I really don´t now whats the problem, before installing xp, everything worked great (with win98se), but now, it doesn´t read all my mp3 cd´s.

Now, I read here that maybe it´s because of the firmaware. What do I have to do. (I did flash it once, but in win98, and never have issues with that exactly cd´s).
If somebody can help me, please tell me how exactly and in wich place can I download a probe firmware for XP.

than´s a lot !!!! :lol:

ps: what hapend with dvd region, in drive properties says that it has one change left??? I´m in trouble, yes.
condecd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby CignaXI on Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:26 pm

No you are not in trouble. DVD's have regions like USA, Japan, China, etc... They only can be played in DVD-Player or DVD-ROMS that have that region. As a protection you can "only change" 3 times the area of your DVD-ROM. You can download Region-Free firmwares in this page:

http://digi.rpc1.org/
http://digi.web1000.com
http://digitri.tk
links thanks to dimitri :D :D :D

That will enalbe your drive to watch any region, still you will have to enable your OS region to watch any region DVDs. There are several programs that do this, search in google.

About the problem with XP it is really weird. Try changing the firmwares if that doesn't work try to enable CDFS service.
Last edited by CignaXI on Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still burning with my LTR-16101B.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby CignaXI on Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:02 am

condecd1 wrote:ok, thank´s but, I need to now this. If I can´t make again my dvd room region free, and if it´s going to work well with xp os.

thanks, and your picture is really amazing!!!!

Yes you can make your dvd-rom region free, just go to one of the links I already posted and download a region free firmware and flash your drive.
http://digi.rpc1.org/163fw.htm

Flash your drive and test if it fixes your problems with XP, it is really weird though. How big are does mp3 files? Just wondering

PS: Here is a link for the fullscreen pic: The_Twins_800x600.jpg
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:11 pm

It's a good thing you quoted him :-?
dhc014
CD-RW Player

dvd-xp-problems

Postby condecd1 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:50 pm

Hi, again, first of all, thank´s for helping me.
Ok, now, I´m about to do the firmware flash, it´s just a little dangerous to do it all by myself (I´m not an expert), and the things I read are not to safe to do...you now what I´m saying.
I´m not very sure, but a friend of my said me that the problem is the 4 in 1 via chip set of my, mother (not my mom, I don´t now the word). So, tomorrow I will install this and I tell you guys what happened.
It´s very weird but real.

oh, no, the mp3 files are just normal, let´s say 3 or 5 mb.

Thank´s for the picture cigna 8)
condecd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby CignaXI on Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:04 am

dhc014 wrote:It's a good thing you quoted him :-?

It was a PM that he sent me that I thought it would be better on the thread (I was a little confused by what you meant dhc014).

condecd1 maybe you mean the motherboard sometimes referred to as mobo. Well if you don't have the latest Hyperion all in one drivers installed that could be the source of the problem. May be the IDE drivers that come with the package will fix this. Here is a link for the drivers:

http://www.viaarena.com/
(that is if your mobo has a via chipset)

About flashing your drive, yes it is dangerous but if you fallow the instructions nothing will happen. You should be sure that you are flashing the correct drive, check in which channel is your drive connected to, Primary or Secondary, then check if the drive is master or slave. You can do this with Nero Info tool. You should see something like this:

I recommend flashing your drive in DOS in which case you will need a boot disk. I just copy the flashing program and the firmware to the root directory ( in most cases C: ) and then boot using my old WinME or Win98 cd. Why DOS, I have had some "blue screen" while flashing some drives under Win before. Something very important, cross your fingers while the flashing is in process. I do this every time wishing that the power doesn't go in those moments. :D :D :D
Last edited by CignaXI on Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

ok !!

Postby condecd1 on Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:27 pm

Hi again CignaXI, I really apreciate (I don´t remember how it whrite it) all your patience and tips. It really help me. This afternoon at 7 p.m. (argentinian time), a friend of my will come to my house and we will do all this stuff (4 in 1 drivers, and flash my liteon dvd drive).
Whith all your advises, it´s pretty sure that will be all right.

ps: when I came back to work at 10 p.m. I will post again a reply and tell you what happened with my pc.
Bye.
oh, just for curiosity, what geforce are common in your country, here, I just buy a geforce4, 440, 64 mb. Before, I had a geforce2, also 64mb, I didn´t find much difference, just a little and with very heavy games, and video edition utilitys.-
condecd1
Buffer Underrun

Bad news

Postby condecd1 on Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:47 pm

No, fuck no. It wasn´t that, a few hours ago I do all we said. Flash my lite on, and install the latest hyperio 4 in 1 drivers. But the drive still don´t work properly.
I don´t now, the guy that help me says maybe it´s some xp os problem, so next monday we will try updating to service pack 2, 3 and all the shi.....-
I already have install service pack 1, but I didn´t install all the others because everything was working well.
I´m about to grab a big hammer and hit my pc. It´s a mistery, but I will not give up !!!!

Bye.
(I´m depress, I now)
condecd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby CignaXI on Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:49 am

Calm down! Before you waste your time downloading the new SP1 just try re-installing the OS with FAT32 as your file system. I had a similar problem before were I couldn't copy svcd's files to my HD. I had an old instalation in a FAT32 partition; booted that one and it worked there fine. Just give it a try.

About the card, I would have bought a Radeon 8500 instead of the Geforce 4 MX440. The reason why you didn't notice much difference is because the MX sereis are the value ("cheap") solution of Nvidia, you can't expect too much out of that card. Even a Geforce 3 would have been better than that MX. I don't know how the things work down there in Argentina but if you can spend a little more $$$ and want more performance from your video card return it and shop around for a Radeon 9500 or a Nvidia FX 5600. Here they are in the sub $200.00. This might be interesting, it is a little outdated but has some good info:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/index.html

Suerte con el problema!
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

xp problems

Postby condecd1 on Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:10 pm

No no, I have my os with fat32, and I all ready have install SP1. So I don´t now, we will keep investigating.
About graphics cards, that all tru you said, but here in Argentina are very expensive, an example: 150 american dolars, are 450 pesos argentinos (dolar cotize at 3 pesos each). So, it´s a little different down here.

Bye, y gracias por ayudarme !!! 10 puntos tu castellano.

Lucas :lol:
condecd1
Buffer Underrun

Postby CignaXI on Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:15 am

Sorry that I couldn't be of much help. Just when you find the solution to your problem post it here.

There still some question that might help you. Do you have tried using a different drive? Is it really the LTD163 or the OS? Can you copy the mp3's to your hard disk or they are just not playing? If so check if using a different mp3 player works. Good Luck!
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

still a problem

Postby condecd1 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:03 pm

This is really a mistery.
My drive, with my cd´s, in win98se, works just find (read all, copy in hard disk, everything), but, same drive, same cd, in Xp didn´t work.
My drive, with my cd´s in other pc with Xp, again not work.

Conclusions: it´s not a drive problem, either my dvd liteon 163, or my creative cd-rw work just find. If i install them in a win98 they work.
Ok, now, I´m out of options: I all ready update the bios pc, flash my liteon with ghr 6 or 7 (don´t remember), update the 4 in 1 via chipset driver, etc.
Maybe its an incompibility problem with the cd´s (and his file system), with xp os.

If anybody now about something similar to this please make a post.

Gracias a todos.-
condecd1
Buffer Underrun

Re: still a problem

Postby CignaXI on Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:56 pm

condecd1 wrote:Conclusions: it´s not a drive problem, either my dvd liteon 163, or my creative cd-rw work just find.
Gracias a todos.-

If I understanded it correctly then you have 2 drives with the same problem. If this is what you meant then this is pointing to the cd media, that is if you also tested the cdrw in other pc with xp. But then again it works in win98 so it couldn't be the media. Does the cd you are trying to read works in XP in any other drive?

I have a LTD163D (not the LTD163) firmware GHR8 and it works fine with XP. It is strange that problem you're having. Does any error message appears when you try to copy the mp3's to your HD?
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

yeah

Postby condecd1 on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:57 pm

Hi again, and yes, there is a message but not important, is the typical "can´t copy files to hard drive, files are damage", that when I try to copy them to h.d.. It let me load a playlist to winamp or musicmuch, but dont play it...
I heard somewhere it is an xp(with sp1), with cd burned is some way. I just dont now what is it. But just let me tell you one thing...is not my computer, I try in different pc´s with xp, and nothing. But, heard this, same cds in win98se, work perfectly !!!!

a note: it doesnt work either with win2000 server !!!!!

This could only happend to me!!!! :D
I have more than 450 mp3 cds burned all in the same way....I´m really fuck up yeah !!
condecd1
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives