Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which version of standard is read/written by Nero and InCD?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Which version of standard is read/written by Nero and InCD?

Postby kaikow on Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:25 am

Is there a list that documents which versions of the UDF spec, ECMA-167 standard and ISO/IEC 13346 standards are alleged to be supported by each version of Nero and by each version of InCD and by Multimounter and other Nero related software from Ahead?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:08 pm

At least I can tell that InCD 4 is working with UDF 1.02 and UDF 1.50.
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:21 pm

Thanx.

It would be useful if Ahead had this info at their web site.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:21 pm

I know that several things are missing in www.nero.com, but this time supported udf version are here:

"InCD 4

General Information

InCD 4 is an integrated packet writing solution that has the most stability, ease of use, and compatibility, across all Windows operating systems. Packet writing is the method of writing data in small increments (by packets) onto rewritable media.

Automatically launched when Windows is booted, InCD provides flexible drive letter access to the CD-RW, CD-MRW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW or DVD+MRW drive providing simple drag and drop or direct save options within applications. Files can be saved, renamed and deleted, just as with other rewritable storage media such as floppy or hard disk. InCD is fully compliant with the UDF 1.50 standard in legacy mode and UDF 1.02 for MRW.
"

on: http://www.nero.com/en/info_incd.html

In case you did search for the information but was unable to find your way in the website, I suggest to describe your research to webmaster@nero.com so he can re-considere the organisation of the website to allow its users to find more easily the information they are looking for.
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:59 am

dburg wrote:I know that several things are missing in www.nero.com, but this time supported udf version are here:

"InCD 4

General Information

InCD 4 is an integrated packet writing solution that has the most stability, ease of use, and compatibility, across all Windows operating systems. Packet writing is the method of writing data in small increments (by packets) onto rewritable media.

Automatically launched when Windows is booted, InCD provides flexible drive letter access to the CD-RW, CD-MRW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW or DVD+MRW drive providing simple drag and drop or direct save options within applications. Files can be saved, renamed and deleted, just as with other rewritable storage media such as floppy or hard disk. InCD is fully compliant with the UDF 1.50 standard in legacy mode and UDF 1.02 for MRW.
"

on: http://www.nero.com/en/info_incd.html

In case you did search for the information but was unable to find your way in the website, I suggest to describe your research to webmaster@nero.com so he can re-considere the organisation of the website to allow its users to find more easily the information they are looking for.

My intention was that there be a table along the following lines
Code: Select all

Versions Supported
Software                                 UDF        ISO 9660     ISO/IEC 13346
-----------                          ------------  ------------   ---------------
Nero  version#
Nero version#
InCD version#
InCD version#
EasyWrite Reader version#
EasyWrite Reader version#
Multimounter version#
Etc.

Such a quick lookup table would be useful.

Note that for ISO/IEC 13346, there are 5 parts of the standard.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:43 pm

Notice that EWR (4.x) includes an UDF reader only under w9x/Me. On 2k/xp/server 2003 it relies on the Microsoft native udf reader. On NT 4 it relies on InCD 4.
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:14 am

dburg wrote:Notice that EWR (4.x) includes an UDF reader only under w9x/Me. On 2k/xp/server 2003 it relies on the Microsoft native udf reader. On NT 4 it relies on InCD 4.

Does that mean we should not even install EWR in Win 2000?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:53 am

It means that to read UDF media you do not need EWR because the OS is natively capable of it. But the OS is not capable of MRW remapping, something which is needed to read MRW media in not-MRW devices. Here, EWR is needed.
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:04 am

dburg wrote:It means that to read UDF media you do not need EWR because the OS is natively capable of it. But the OS is not capable of MRW remapping, something which is needed to read MRW media in not-MRW devices. Here, EWR is needed.

Yes, and that's what I find confusing about Ahead's EWR.

1. If I go to http://www.ahead.de/us/631925878740327.html, the version that is downloaded is EWR vesion 1.0.1.0 (tho some are calling this vesion 3.3.2.0).

2. However, if I go to various Ahead/Nero ftp sites, I find a number of other versions of EWR, the most recent of which is named as if it were version 4.0.0.14, but it installs version 4.0.0.13, so there is some version numbering confusion.

Most importantly, if I install EWR 4.0.0.?, I am unable to read media that I can read with EWR 3.3.2.0/1.0.1.0.

This is rather confusing.

Why does EWR 4.* not read MWR media?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:09 am

I forgot to mention, in all cases the installations are on Win 2000 SP 4.
In one case, InCD 4.0.5.3 is installed with Nero 6.0.0.15.
In another case, InCD 3.5.24.0 is installed with Nero 5.5.10.42.

In both cases, I have to use EWR 3.3.2.0.1.0.1.0 to read MWR on a Plextor SCSI PX-32TSi which Nero's info tool reports as being MWR capable.

kaikow wrote:
dburg wrote:It means that to read UDF media you do not need EWR because the OS is natively capable of it. But the OS is not capable of MRW remapping, something which is needed to read MRW media in not-MRW devices. Here, EWR is needed.

Yes, and that's what I find confusing about Ahead's EWR.

1. If I go to http://www.ahead.de/us/631925878740327.html, the version that is downloaded is EWR vesion 1.0.1.0 (tho some are calling this vesion 3.3.2.0).

2. However, if I go to various Ahead/Nero ftp sites, I find a number of other versions of EWR, the most recent of which is named as if it were version 4.0.0.14, but it installs version 4.0.0.13, so there is some version numbering confusion.

Most importantly, if I install EWR 4.0.0.?, I am unable to read media that I can read with EWR 3.3.2.0/1.0.1.0.

This is rather confusing.

Why does EWR 4.* not read MWR media?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:26 pm

I have asked the webmastering and ftp servers team to clarify the situation about EWR installers. Sorry for the current mess! :cry:

> In both cases, I have to use EWR 3.3.2.0.1.0.1.0 to read MWR on a Plextor SCSI PX-32TSi which Nero's info tool reports as being MWR capable.

Oh. :o Is this device reported a MRW capable by Nero InfoTool even without EWR installed? This would explain why installing EWR 4.0.0.x does not help: EWR 4.0.0.x provides MRW read support only to device that does not natively supports MRW read. Now if Plextor SCSI PX-32TSi reports been MRW capable but does not read MRW media without a software remapper there is a problem.

Can you attach a Nero InfoTool result without EWR installed?
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:34 pm

kaikow wrote:In both cases, I have to use EWR 3.3.2.0.1.0.1.0 to read MWR on a Plextor SCSI PX-32TSi which Nero's info tool reports as being MWR capable.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the PX-32TSi a 32x CDROM drive?
this must be quite an old drive, and i find it hard to believe that it supports Mt. Rainier.
could InfoTool be in error?

come to think of it, are CDROM drives capable of supporting MRW?
isn't this a CDRW device characteristic?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby kaikow on Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:38 pm

dburg wrote:I have asked the webmastering and ftp servers team to clarify the situation about EWR installers. Sorry for the current mess! :cry:

> In both cases, I have to use EWR 3.3.2.0.1.0.1.0 to read MWR on a Plextor SCSI PX-32TSi which Nero's info tool reports as being MWR capable.

Oh. :o Is this device reported a MRW capable by Nero InfoTool even without EWR installed? This would explain why installing EWR 4.0.0.x does not help: EWR 4.0.0.x provides MRW read support only to device that does not natively supports MRW read. Now if Plextor SCSI PX-32TSi reports been MRW capable but does not read MRW media without a software remapper there is a problem.

Can you attach a Nero InfoTool result without EWR installed?

I just sent the following via email.
----------------------------------------------------
Per your request in the CDRLabs forum (http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12046), I am ataching a .zip file containing:

FnoEWRInfoTool.txt: No EWR installed
FEWR3InfoTool.txt: EWR 3.3.2.0/1.0.1.0 installed

I ran InfoTool with EWR installed, then uninstalled EWR, rebooted, then ran InfoTool.
I saved each output in a text file included in the attached .zip file.

System is Win 2000 SP 4.
EWR 3 can read CD-RW in CD-ROM drive.
EWR 4 cannot.

Since the CD-ROM drive is physically capable using EWR 3, I must question why not with EWR 4?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:50 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
kaikow wrote:In both cases, I have to use EWR 3.3.2.0.1.0.1.0 to read MWR on a Plextor SCSI PX-32TSi which Nero's info tool reports as being MWR capable.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the PX-32TSi a 32x CDROM drive?
this must be quite an old drive, and i find it hard to believe that it supports Mt. Rainier.
could InfoTool be in error?

come to think of it, are CDROM drives capable of supporting MRW?
isn't this a CDRW device characteristic?

The issue is that the drive works with EWR 3, but not with EWR 4.

MRW just faciltates reading media formatted with packet-writing.
Any, reasonadble, CD-ROM drive can read such media if provided the correct software, as is demonstrated by using EWR 3 with the drive.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)