Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Firmware updating on a Liteon XJ-HD166S DVD ROM

How fast is too fast?

Firmware updating on a Liteon XJ-HD166S DVD ROM

Postby Parsonsmead on Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:17 am

Hello all, bit of a newbee to DVD ROMs.

Could someone give me a step by step guide of the best way to update the firmware in this drive.

More importantly can anyone provide a link to the latest firmware.

Heres hoping

Parsonsmead
Parsonsmead
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:31 am

Download the firmware updater for version DS18 from here:

http://www.jlms.com.tw/webfw/XJ-HD166S/D166SDS18.zip

Extract the update executable from the zip file. Then make sure there is no disc in the drive and that you have a good source of power. You don't want the computer to lose power or shut down while flashing. Finally, run the executable. It is a windows program, so you don't have to boot in DOS. Just double-click the executable, select the drive you want to update (if you have more than one), and then start the flash. Wait until the flash is completely finished. The program will display a pop-up window telling you it has finished and that you must reboot. Click "Yes", your system will reboot, and you should be fine.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Parsonsmead on Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:28 am

Many thanks cfitz.I hope I can be of assistence to you some time.

Parsonsmead
Parsonsmead
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:48 am

You're welcome. And let me add one more tip. You should check to make sure the drive is still DMA enabled after it has rebooted. Sometimes after a flash the system will revert to PIO mode for the updated drive.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Parsonsmead on Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:16 pm

Dear cfitz, downloaded no problem.

When I try to run the application I keep getting the error message 'drive not detected' even though it displays exactly the name of the drive in the window.

I do have Karr's liteon utility so I have a feeling that if I have the .bin file I can continue with the upgrade.

Any advice would be appreciated.

System:

NF7-S v2.0, Bios v 18
XP 2600 (333), XP Pro

nForce 2 Chipset with 2.45 drivers loaded

jlms hd 166s DVD Rom
msi 8438 CD RW

etc. etc.

Parsonsmead
Parsonsmead
Buffer Underrun

Postby Parsonsmead on Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:41 pm

BTW I have DVD ROM as sec master and MSI as Primary Master. HD is running on SATA.

P
Parsonsmead
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:44 pm

First, make double sure that you have the 166S and not the 165H or 163 or 163D. I assume you do, but it never hurts to double check. Also, you didn't specifically mention it, but make sure your drive is on the motherboard's IDE bus and not an add-on PCI IDE controller. Some PCI IDE controllers don't work properly with optical drives.

If you are running nForce IDE drivers, that could be the source of the problem as well. Switching to the generic MS drivers often helps for problems like this.

If you have been happy with the nForce drivers, you haven't had any other odd problems with your optical drives, and you really don't want to change them, then I would try flashing the drive from DOS. You can get the binary from digi's page, along with Mtkflash and a DOS boot disc maker:

http://digi.rpc1.org/

Follow the "The LiteOn/JLMS DVD's pages" and "Binary firmware, Mtkflash, Dos floppy" links to get to the page which has a bunch of different binaries and the other utilities you will need.

Download the DOS boot disc maker and make a boot floppy if you don't have one. Then load Mtkflash and the binary to the floppy. Next, read the instructions for how to use Mtkflash by following the "How to use MtkFlash" link near the top of the binaries page. In particular, make note of the position of your drive on the IDE chain so you know which number to supply to the Mtkflash commmand line.

Then reboot to the floppy and run mtkflash. That should do the trick.

Isn't digi's site a great resource?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Parsonsmead on Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:44 pm

Yet again cfitz, many thanks. Digi's site is indeed excellent. Good plug (LOL). The old DOS/floppy can't be beaten sometimes......

P
Parsonsmead
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:29 pm

You're welcome.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

im retarded

Postby idsigloo on Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:52 pm

what is aspi and how do i get it? DVDx says I have an aspi error and aspi checker just says n/a on everything and that the aspi hasn't been properly installed. e-mail me at idsigloo@hotmail.com
idsigloo
Buffer Underrun

Postby dinyarr on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:10 am

Parsonsmead wrote:Dear cfitz, downloaded no problem.

When I try to run the application I keep getting the error message 'drive not detected' even though it displays exactly the name of the drive in the window.

I do have Karr's liteon utility so I have a feeling that if I have the .bin file I can continue with the upgrade.

Any advice would be appreciated.

System:

NF7-S v2.0, Bios v 18
XP 2600 (333), XP Pro

nForce 2 Chipset with 2.45 drivers loaded

jlms hd 166s DVD Rom
msi 8438 CD RW

etc. etc.

Parsonsmead

Dear Parsonsmead
I read youv got liteOn's utility LtnFlash. Would u be so kind enough to email it to me, on my add. dinyarr@flashmail.com I have been looking for this utility for a long time, sorry for the trouble and thanks for the same.
dinyarr
Buffer Underrun

Karr's LiteOn Utility

Postby dinyarr on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:21 am

Dear Parsonsmead
would u be so kind enough to E mail me your LiteOn utility LtnFlash.exe at my address dinyarr@flashmail.com I have a liteOn CDRW and a DVDRom
Thanks a million
Dinyar
dinyarr
Buffer Underrun

Re: Karr's LiteOn Utility

Postby dinyarr on Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:19 pm

dinyarr wrote:Dear Parsonsmead
would u be so kind enough to E mail me your LiteOn utility LtnFlash.exe at my address dinyarr@flashmail.com I have a liteOn CDRW and a DVDRom
Thanks a million
Dinyar

Reminder Please
Dear Parsonsmead
Thanks a million
Dinyar
dinyarr
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives