Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Fuji dumps TY...goes PRODISC??

Burn baby burn!

Fuji dumps TY...goes PRODISC??

Postby marius on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:12 pm

Hey all...been a long time since I visited here. Hope you're all well!

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I just noticed a disturbing thing re: Fuji CDRs purchased today from CompUSA in NYC. Thanks to you good folks here, I learned many moons ago that "Made In Japan = GOOD" and as such, have only been using Fuji Taiyo Yuden's for my last 500 burns. Well, I saw a decent deal on 50pack spindle of Fujis this week at CompUSA [USD$14.99] and as I was low figured to pick up a 2 packs. Got to CompUSA and surprise, surprise! Every Fuji 50 pack they had now comes in the sharp, non-cakebox Imation type spindle and are all marked Made in Taiwan. Shocking and depressing! I spied some cakebox 30 spindle Fujis and these were still Japanese TYs. I asked the clerk to check to see if they had a new product code for these Taiwan discs, explained why and of course got a blank look in return.

IS THIS PERMANENT?? Has my beloved Fuji decided to go cheap? Say it isn't so!

Got home, ran Nero 6 Disc Info tool and here are the results:

FUJI CDR - TAIWAN
Manufacturer : Prodisc
Code : 97m32s19f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 9: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.72
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

And just for comparison:

FUJI CDR - JAPAN
Manufacturer : Taiyo Yuden
Code : 97m24s01f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.72
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

Anyone know the scoop on the change? How are these Prodiscs anyway? Should I start looking to stock up on Japanese Fujis before they are all gone?

Help!

peace!
marius
marius
Buffer Underrun

Postby rdgrimes on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:47 pm

sorry, this is old news. And yes you should stock up on TY, they're getting fairly scarce. the prodisc is average, but should be burned at 40x or below.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby marius on Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:07 am

rdgrimes wrote:sorry, this is old news. And yes you should stock up on TY, they're getting fairly scarce. the prodisc is average, but should be burned at 40x or below.

rdgrimes: well, i was sure i wasn't announcing anything new, especially not here with all the gurus... :wink:

anyway, thanks for the heads up on the Prodiscs...This is obviously disappointing. Any word if this change from TY is going to be permanent for Fuji?

best,
marius
marius
Buffer Underrun

Postby rdgrimes on Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:28 am

Best information is that it's permanent.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:07 pm

At least Fuji didnt go to CMC. I hope Fuji gets so many complaints about these new CD-R's that didnt burn or returned boxes they will go back to TY.

Most of the Taiwanese CD-R manufacturers have slightly ramped up the quality over the years (a 50 pack of 48X TDK made by Ritek have worked great on my 52x32x52 Lite-On) but I still think the quality still lags behind TY.

I guess TY wont cut costs or cheapen thier quality like CMC does to keep prices low, so repackaging companies like TDK, Memorex and now Fuji have left them in the dust for Taiwan. Cheap Bastards!! :evil:
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:24 pm

At least Fuji didnt go to CMC

Actually, there have been a couple reports of CMC-made Fuji.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:19 pm

I believe I had some trouble with Prodisc CD-Rs a year or so ago, even though they were supposedly high quality, as per one of the big gurus in this scene.
I have used many brands of CD-Rs, and that was one of the only ones that I could swear I had trouble with, in some instances.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:01 am

Prodisc has never reallly been a *high* quality disc, but they are supposed to be a reliable disc... well, not their CD-RWs...their CD-RWs REALLY SUCK!

as for Fuji switching to a taiwanese manufacturer, it is very odd that they should do this now, since currently Japanese made CD-Rs are almost always cheaper then Taiwanese CD-Rs as of these last few months. Yes, I know that doesn't really sound like it makes sense, but for some reason Taiwan manufacturers have been one step ahead of Japan manufacturers on the price increase, which has ultimatly resulted in Japan offering the cheapest available media... a little weird eh? You can bet it won't last though :cry:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:37 am

i know this is a long shot... but anybody know where I can get TY made Memorex?

The reason I ask is becasue a year or two ago I started my movie collection burning to memorex CD-Rs. At the time I found it was easy to find TY made memorex. However, it has been getting scarce. I haven't had to buy any CD-R's in months and now that I need more disks when I went to the store I could not find a single spindle of TY made memorex disks. I've been to Microcenter, Walmart, and K-Mart. I haven't checked Best buy or compUSA, but I was thinking that they haven't carried the disks I want in a long time.

I now have hundereds of CD-Rs burned with TY memorex disks with the white label and I would love to keep things consistent if possible.

I believe Japanese disks (as well as most other things that come out of Japan) are superior to Taiwanese or chinese. It is sad to see this happening.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:52 am

I personally haven't seen any TY-made Memorex CD-Rs for about 10 months now. Sorry.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:53 am

I haven't seen TY made Memorex anywhere either. The latest Memorex 52x CD-R's that I came across at Target were made in Taiwan, probably CMC.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby pranav81 on Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:45 am

Guys a little off the topic question,but can anybody tell me about the quality of CD-R's made by Moser Baer India Limited?
The MSB discs are abundantly available at very cheap rates here in India.Then come Prodisc Technology,Sony.Verbatim/Mitsubishi,TY and Mitsui are very hard to find.
Waiting for some reply,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby vsekh on Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:06 pm

I had bought a 50-pack spindle of Memorex 52x media from COMPusa. These are made by Prodisc.
vsekh
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:41 pm

My local BestBuy still has some rather dusty 32xTY in the Memorex package.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:42 pm

thanks, I'll stop by a couple BB's in my area to see if they have any in stock... guess I'll buy all they have(if they have any) and live to fight another day.

I guess I'm fighting a losing battle though. :(
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives