Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD-ROM won't read ripped movie!!!!!

How fast is too fast?

DVD-ROM won't read ripped movie!!!!!

Postby NoSmartz on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:13 pm

I ripped a movie to dvd+r on my other pc and it reads on that pc plus my home dvd player fine.I tried it on my other pc and and error message reads "windows cannot read from this disk.the disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows."I can play a store bought dvd on this pc but not a ripped one.The Rom is on dvd region 1 and am running win xp.The brand of the dvd-rom is toshiba model #SD-M1612.Can anyone help?
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:23 am

Some drives read +R well while others don't. You can try re-ripping, burn might be slightly screwy... but there's just the chance that the drive you're using to read the disc doesn't like it.

FYI DVD-R has the greatest compatibility. Hopefully you bought a dual format burner and can burn it in a different format. Otherwise looks like you won't be watching movies on that PC.

Have you updated the firmware for the drive to the latest version. If not, head to www.google.com and track it down.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:50 am

Check the revision of your Toshiba SD-M1612 with DISCInfo and apply the correct No Limit Firmware. Then the drive should read any well recorded quality DVD+R(W) disc... 8)

Note: Flashing the firmware is a delicate process. Make sure you strictly follow the instructions. The region must be set before applying the patched firmware! For the safest operation connect Toshiba as Secondary Master with no Slave present. Then boot to pure DOS (thru Win98 boot floppy without any drivers loaded), run the firmware flash program and wait untill the process is complete. DO NOT TOUCH THE DRIVE WHILE THE FLASH IS COMMENCING! IF THE TRAY OPENS, DO NOT CLOSE IT!!!
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:06 pm

The firmware version I have is as follows
firmare version: 1004
vendor specific: 09/01/01
xtra info: xn
ToshibaSD-M 1612 reva
I have d'loaded a file by this name: 1612 1004.zip.
Is this correct?
It says in this file to create a bootable floppy disk then copy the zip file to the floppy.I can't create a bootable floppy.
How do you create a bootable floppy disk in winxp?

:roll:

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:03 pm

you should read carefully all the instructions on this page:
http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/

the 1612_1004.zip file you downloaded from the firmware page http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=191 is a regular firmware, not the hacked firmware.
it's the firmware that is now in your drive!
according to http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/ your drive can't read DVD+R/W with 1004 firmware. i'm not sure i understand correctly but maybe with 1806 firmware you can.

in any case if you use one of the hacked firmwares you can.
since your drive is a Toshiba SD-M1612 revision A, you should download
Patched J004 firmware (RPC-1, No Read Limit)
or
Patched J806 firmware (RPC-1, No Read Limit, 48x CD read)
(both listed under Toshiba SD-M1612 RevA.

you can make a bootable floppy using this:
http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/dvd-boot.exe
(thaken from >NIL:'s incomplete FAQ here: http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/Firmware_FAQ.html )
it's a WinME bootdisk with lots of useful drivers (like reading NTFS!).
worked like a charm for me. :D
but for flashing a Toshiba drive you don't want to load any drivers, just hit shift-F5 at the menu to get to a command prompt.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Han on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:00 pm

Patched J806 firmware (RPC-1, No Read Limit, 48x CD read) is the firmware you want. I have the same drive and with this firmware it reads any DVD... J004 does not support DVD+R(W) discs!
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:51 am

I just recieved a message straight from Toshiba.They officially "don't" support dvd + format.So now I will d'load the correct patch(j806)then make a boot disk and see what happens.Hopefully I won't vaporize when I try to install the firmware but we'll see.
I'll try the install on thursday and post it to see the end result.
Thanx for the input fellow dvd enthusiasts,it helps.

:)

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:14 pm

absolutely no luck whatsoever.I created the bootdisk with dvdboot.exe with no probs.I had no room left on the disk for the firware so I follwed instructions on the pioneerdvd faq page and it said to create a folder for the firmware.I created C:\toshfirmware on the HD.It says you can access this folder from the dos window and then run update.bat and waa laa!!!
Well there's a problem.I couldn't even get the dos window to come up in startup from the bootdisk.I hit shift F5 and nothing.I hit every key on the keyboard and nothing.All that appeared was 4 options
1.help
2.run from cd-rom
3.access from cd-rom
4.exit
On the bottom of the screen was the shift F5 instructions to access the DOS window.I did that and it wouldn't let me.Enter wouldn't even work.
I even burned an iso image to disk and still no luck.
I guess I'm screwed.Looks like no DVD+r media playback for me.
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:31 pm

- download this image of Windows 98 SE boot floppy. Link is from Bootdisk.com

- when computer starts booting from the floppy, hold down SHIFT key

- go to the firmware folder on your hard drive

- run "update"

- waa laa! :wink:
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:31 pm

I'll give it a try.
What's odd is that the PC I use here at home doesn't support DVD+R reading either but mysteriously it plays them anyway.WEIRD!!!! :-?
I rip't RUN LOLA RUN and it played on this PC but the subtitles didn't work but every other one works fine.
Does it matter that I have winxp pro or not?
Maybe the reason it didn't work before was that it was a winMe bootdisk?
Very frustrating. :roll:

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:51 am

Software players can't show subtitles on a ripped movie.

Also, after a successful flash remove the IDE/ATAPI channel, to which the flashed drive is connected, from Device Manager and restart the system.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:48 am

By removing the IDE/ATAPI channel in device manager and restarting,is that so windows will recognize it as a new drive?

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:44 pm

Yes, because firmware defines the drive...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:15 pm

good to know
I'll see if I can get it to work

:)

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:07 pm

Success!!!!!!!
I tried the win 98se boot floppy and still no luck..Went to http://www.bootdisk.comand looked for diferent options.I d'loaded Dr. Dos 7 and tried it.No luck.I almost got upset but first I sat back and contemplated.Then I realized,I have a USB keyboard,no drivers were being loaded with the boot disk(not even USB drivers)
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:
So I found an old keyboard and waa laa!!!!!!!!!
Toshiba 1612 now reading dvd + media and reading at 48X.
Shoulda figured it was somethin' simple.

Thanx for the help!!!!

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:18 pm

If you have a USB keyboard, then you can sometimes enable "Legacy USB Keyboard support" in BIOS and that will let you use the USB keyboard when flashing. USB keyboards are a pain!
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:28 pm

Yeah,I'm going back to my $14.00 logitech that's 3 years old and bullet proof.No USB on this keyboard.
I couldn't find "legacy" keyboard support in BIOS.May not be in this particular BIOS.

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives