Home News Reviews Forums Shop

did i break me video card?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

did i break me video card?

Postby kpassman on Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:18 pm

i have a pny gf4 4200ti and while i was cleaning it, i accidentally broke off a metal rectangular piece sticking out from the back. games seem to work find, how do i know if it's broken or not? thanks!
kpassman
Buffer Underrun

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:48 pm

if games work ok, it should be ok. You will know if your card bursts into flames :P
I am not sure if it is a safety issue or not
I have an Asus TI-4200 8)
Last edited by Turkeyscore.com on Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:57 pm

Depends on what the peice is you broke if anything important. Their are a lot of parts that are just filters and thins to make a better video output and clean up voltage spikes and other things similar like that. If it's a part like that it may well be fine, but keep an eye on it just in case. Like he said if all the functions still work properly and it's not smoking you just might have gotten lucky. Test ALL the video modes to be sure, I belive the direct X test will do it and the game benchmark from mad onion or whatever they call themselves now will work also.
I broke of a tiny surface mount cap on mine trying to replace the dead fan. I managed to find it and solder it back in place. I then tried a different aproach with the fan. I'm using it now, TI 4200 just like yours.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion