Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Forum login problem

Need help with the website? Have feedback? Post it here.

Forum login problem

Postby theTAO on Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:49 pm

Well, sort of. I can log in. When I click either the "Log in" link in the upper-right, or click either the "postreply" or
"newtopic" buttons within a forum, I get the username/password page. I submit the form with my data, but then always receive a "page not found" error. However, then clicking a link (like the one for the forum index) shows I am logged-in. I dug a little deeper, and what seem to be happening is instead of redirecting me somwhere after my login, the server just drops the connection. Put another way, it logs me in, but doesn't send me a new page. BTW, I can dig a little deeper and back this up with a tcpdump log if necessary. :)

Is this a known problem? I'm new here and checked for related posts on this forum, but didn't find anything.
theTAO
Buffer Underrun

Postby socheat on Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:52 pm

I used to have this problem as well. I found that if I hit reload, it would work fine. I don't have this problem anymore, but I don't know exactly what I did to fix it. I think it might have to do with cookie settings.

Socheat
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby theTAO on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:14 am

Well, I'm glad it's not just me.

If you opted to stay logged-in permanently, then you likely wouldn't see the problem again. I tend to not save any cookies between sessions, and so will probably see it every time until it's fixed. It's just an odd bug "transitioning" from the login page, which hopefully makes it easy to fix.
theTAO
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:25 pm

If you disable cookies like I do for most sites you probably disabled the cookie that knows you and keeps you logged in here. Try checking what is blocked when here and unblock the one that looks like the auto loggin one if you can tell.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby theTAO on Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:15 pm

I don't block any cookies...well, none from this site, just from lots of banner/popup advertisers. I just don't save any between sessions. If I wanted to stay permanently logged-in, then it's definitely a cookie issue, but this is more a server/script configuration thing for the site.

Hopefully somebody from cdrlabs can look at this shortly and fix it to redirect visitors to the main forum index...or better yet, to the referer URL they submit when they initially clicked "log in".
theTAO
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:24 pm

Well I've never had problems since I enabled cookies here, sounds like you do have a different problem and kinda a idea what it is. If your using a firewall program like I do you might want to try disabling it when you log in to see if maybe it's blocking something from here. They can get screwy after a bunch of updates and block things you want to work. It's another idea to look at anyways.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to Feedback and Help