Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Quickest spin up time?

How fast is too fast?

Quickest spin up time?

Postby Dan Hatfield on Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:25 am

I'll probably be buying a new DVD drive soon if I can't get my problem from the last post resolved. Anyone have any good links or info on spin up times for DVD-ROMs? This is going to be one of my top criteria, because I just can't stand waiting for a disc to spin up everytime I want to do something. :-?
Dan Hatfield
Buffer Underrun

Postby tazdevl on Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:38 pm

It's a disc based media drive not a hard drive, the difference between drives is not going to be paradigm shifting.

Seems to me your main criteria should be the quality of the burn and media compatibility.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby Dan Hatfield on Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:59 pm

I don't know... it seems to me that some manufacturer could simply come up with a design where the drive doesn't spin up to top speed just to identify the disc in it. I've used programs before that limit the top speed of my drive with some success in this area. Of course, that means the drive never reaches its top speed.
Dan Hatfield
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:28 pm

from your two posts it's not clear to me what exactly you want of the drive.

from your first post:
...I just can't stand waiting for a disc to spin up everytime I want to do something.
it seems like you want a drive that spins up really fast.

from your second post:
...some manufacturer could simply come up with a design where the drive doesn't spin up to top speed just to identify the disc in it. I've used programs before that limit the top speed of my drive with some success in this area. Of course, that means the drive never reaches its top speed.
i understand that you want the drive to spin at lower-than-max speed for disc regocgintion.

so what is it?

if it's #1, an alternative is to use a program such as Nero DriveSpeed, but not to use it to limit the max speed, but rather to control the spin-down time. set it at some large number such as 16 or 32 minutes, or inifinte.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives