Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CD Sound Quality Problem

Anything else

CD Sound Quality Problem

Postby Dimebag on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi...

I've been experiencing a problem when I burn mp3s to CD and was hoping someone could offer some advice or a cure. I'm currently using Nero v7, and noticed that on most of the CDs that I burn, there will be distortion in certain parts of the program. It's very faint, but loud enough to be annoying when playing back a CD. Almost sounds like the show was recorded from a record (hissing and popping)...I have also used Sonic Record Now, as well as different brands of CD-Rs and have experienced the same thing. The thing is, this noise isn't present when I play the mp3s straight from the hard drive on the computer, only when I burn to disc. What am I doing wrong? :(
Dimebag
Buffer Underrun

Postby Grain on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Is that when playing back the cd on your computer? If that's the case, then it's possible that your audio cable is loose(if your using one), perhaps a dirty optical pickup, although both those ideas are unlikely. Have you tried different cd's?
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Yeah, I'd try different CD's or write at a slower speed.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: CD Sound Quality Problem

Postby redk9258 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:54 pm

Dimebag wrote:Hi...

I've been experiencing a problem when I burn mp3s to CD and was hoping someone could offer some advice or a cure. I'm currently using Nero v7, and noticed that on most of the CDs that I burn, there will be distortion in certain parts of the program. It's very faint, but loud enough to be annoying when playing back a CD. Almost sounds like the show was recorded from a record (hissing and popping)...I have also used Sonic Record Now, as well as different brands of CD-Rs and have experienced the same thing. The thing is, this noise isn't present when I play the mp3s straight from the hard drive on the computer, only when I burn to disc. What am I doing wrong? :(

I assume that you are converting mp3's to CD Audio, right?
Try converting the files to 44.100 Hz - 16 bit wav files first.
Check them after conversion. If they sound OK, it is probably the media has errors.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby DrageMester on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:00 pm

IIRC there's some problem when burning mp3 files as CD Audio with early versions of Nero 7, and this may have been fixed in later versions.

You could also try the small, simple and free Burrrn utility.

I also second Ian's suggestions of trying other CD-R media and burning at a lower speed. Burning at 16x is usually a good choice for burning CD Audio.
Pioneer DVR-112L, LiteOn SHM-165P6S, Pioneer DVR-111L, BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A
LiteOn LH-20A1P, Optiarc AD-7203A, Matshita UJ-840S, Sony RDR-HX910, Sony RDR-HX750
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Postby Dimebag on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think the problem is not so much with the CD-Rs as it is with what I'm PLAYING them on. For some reason, my Panasonic CD player will play pressed CDs fine, and even plays alot of the shows I've converted from mp3 to disc, but will act up with crackling and popping on others (Almost like the high frequencies are too much for the speakers, though it's not the speakers)..Anyways, the CDs that act up on it will play fine on some other players I've tried, so I'm assuming it has issues with the quality of the CD-Rs I'm using.

Appreciate all the great advice!

Cheers...

Dimebag
Dimebag
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Software Questions