Home News Reviews Forums Shop

No sound on set top player after xvid/avi converted to DV

DVD and Blu-ray Disc authoring, editing, copying and transcoding.

No sound on set top player after xvid/avi converted to DV

Postby Intimidator on Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:37 pm

I used SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM 7.07 on upon recommendation of a friend to convert 2 xvid files to one encoded file and burned with the included burner that came with SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.

The finished DVD+R will play fine in Lite-ON or BENQ DVD burner in a desktop system. I have both video and audio.

When I tried to play the DVD+R in my Coby set top player I had beautiful video but NO audio!!! This will be the first time that a burned DVD has failed in my set top Coby playeras this pretty much plays anything.

What is going on here? Should I be using a different software to convert and encode the xvid to DVD? Some said maybe try Divx to DVD. I cannot find any info in this forum on this issue. Should I use DVD shrink or nero to burn instead? This is very strange.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:56 pm

What kind of audio settings did you use? It's possible the video got reencoded into MPEG audio, which not all NTSC DVD players support. It should go into either LPCM or Dolby Digital audio.

I'd think a Coby could play anything, but the audio re-encoding seems to be the question mark here..
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Intimidator on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:04 am

Justin42 wrote:What kind of audio settings did you use? It's possible the video got reencoded into MPEG audio, which not all NTSC DVD players support. It should go into either LPCM or Dolby Digital audio.

I'd think a Coby could play anything, but the audio re-encoding seems to be the question mark here..

Thanks Justin.....I checked the audio settings in SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM but they really don't let you pick an option. So maybe by default it will select the LPCM or DDA for the sound since it knows you are making a DVD?

What program do you recommend to make the conversion and burn? This issue is very perplexing.

Any more thoughts?
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:02 pm

I recommend either the free (pre-production release) or commercial release of DivXtoDVD by VSO Software.

http://www.vso-software.fr/download.php

The free version can still be found a number of places online. Interface isn't as slick, and it is unsupported, but it is still available.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4408.html
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby Intimidator on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:08 pm

This time I used DivxtoDVD with the same 2 xvid/avi's. The result was it played find in the Lite-ON DVD. It also played fine now on my laptop with the correct aspect ratio which is the widescreen 16:9.

But now I have a new problem. It plays on the coby set top player with both video and audio. However, the aspect ratio seems to be off. The video is still playing in the widescreen 16:9 but you can tell the video is larger than the TV screen itself. If I had a widescreen TV then it would be perfect!

This is very strange b/c I have watched several 16:9 movies and they all played fine on this same TV.

What is going on now?
Intimidator
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD and Blu-ray Disc Authoring