Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Syabas Popbox Media Streamer - Anyone Else Getting One?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Syabas Popbox Media Streamer - Anyone Else Getting One?

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:44 pm

I've been looking for a media streaming device for my house and the Popbox is probably going to be it. This thing can play supports almost any audio and video file format out there and can play content from the internet, other computers on your network or a USB device. Best of all, its an open platform so there's going to be lots of apps for it. March can't come soon enough.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/News/syabas-anno ... eamer.html

The one thing they don't say though is if it supports DLNA/uPNP. I'd rather do that than play files off a network share.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Syabas Popbox Media Streamer - Anyone Else Getting One?

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Ian wrote:The one thing they don't say though is if it supports DLNA/uPNP. I'd rather do that than play files off a network share.

Hmm.. looks like it does support DLNA.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10 ... les.1080p/

Video processing has also been given a lift and now supports 1080p video up to a 100Mbps bitrate. As with the Popcorn Hour, the sheer variety of formats is the selling point and includes all common MPEG formats, H.264, VC-1, WMV and XviD; it can not only handle common containers for Internet video like Matroska (MKV) but also multiple subtitle formats, including Microsoft's own. On a local network, the Popbox can stream content from an iTunes computer or media server using Apple's Bonjour and can also recognize content delivered by DLNA and UPnP sources.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to General Hardware Discussion