Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Teac CD-R55S SCSI installation help

Burn baby burn!

Teac CD-R55S SCSI installation help

Postby Laynechain on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:13 pm

HI
I have a Teac CD-R55S SCSI with an Adaptec AHA-2940-2940U adapter card.
How do I install it so I can start storing my pics on cd's? I recently lost a bunch of digital family pics do to a bad HD . I got some back but don't want it to happen again. I'm not familiar with SCSI
I'm not sure if you need anymore info.
Thank you,
John
Laynechain
Buffer Underrun

Re: Teac CD-R55S SCSI installation help

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:45 pm

It's been awhile since I've played with SCSI. I think all that you need to do is set the SCSI ID on the drive. You can then go into the BIOS on the 2940 and see if its detected.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Laynechain on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks Ian, SCSI ID on drive? sorry I'm clueless with this SCSI thing. I'm guessing you're meaning the jumpers on the CD-RW drive. I'm going to try it as is, there are jumpers on the 0 & 1 with 2 open. Plus there are these jumper settings
3. PRSW OPEN
4. TERM OPEN
5. UNMARKED OPEN
6. UNMARKED OPEN
7. UNMARKED OPEN

Thankx,
John
Laynechain
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:34 pm

If it's the only drive on the card it MAY work as it's setup now. You need to find the setup info for both the drive and your card. I used to run several SCSI hd's and Plextor and other burners and readers. Usually the very last drive on the chain had to be terminated and each drive had to have a different SCSI address or they would conflict with each other and not work. When you find the info for both it should have diagrams and info that will make what I'm trying to explain clear for you.
Adaptec info should be all over the net and I'm sure you can search out the manual or a good how too somewhere for that Teac as well, I think back in it's day it was a very popular burner.
Good luck, once the IDE stuff was getting better I walked away from SCSI as well, but in it's day with low powered machines it made the difference between being able to run many devices well, or not having anything work, IDE just wasn't quite up to the task at that time.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:11 pm

It took some work, but I came across this:

http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/scsi_cdr/scsi_cdr.htm

According to that, the factory presets are: SCSI ID: 3; Parity check: Performed; Termination: Enabled

I hate to say it, but you may just be better off buying a cheap IDE or SATA writer. You won't have to wrestle with SCSI and they're probably going to work better with modern CD-R media than the CD-R55S.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Laynechain on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:01 pm

Thank you Dartman and Ian for your help. I have this shop computer I'm going to install it in for now. I just like to tinker with things and this SCSI CD-RW came into my hands and thought I would add it to my work shop computer. But I think you are right Ian about buying a new IDE one for our other house computer. I really appreciate you two taking the time to help me.
Peace and Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Laynechain
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Just noticed this thread, that is on the SCSI chain? Just the SCSI card and CD-RW? If so, make sure the CDRW is terminated and check the BIOS of the 2940 and make sure it is terminated at the adapter. If you have issues, an active terminator plugged into the cable will be just what the doctor order... term-end-of-cable -- cdrw -- SCSI adapter (terminated in BIOS)... Gary Fields can help.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives