Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Mitsubishi Chemical Transfers Storage Media Business To CMC

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Mitsubishi Chemical Transfers Storage Media Business To CMC

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Never thought I'd see the day where Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim) would get out of the storage media business... let alone sell their assets to CMC.

https://www.m-chemical.co.jp/en/news/20 ... 614E-2.pdf

Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, a parent company of Mitsubishi Chemical Media Co., Ltd. today announced an agreement to transfer its storage media business, including the optical disc, USB flash drives and other businesses globally operated by Verbatim group companies affiliated with MCM, as well as MCM’s related assets, to CMC Magnetics Corporation.

CMC, established in 1978, engages in the storage media, and is the world leading manufacturer in optical discs. It has established a solid partnership with MCC over a long period through licensing of technology for the optical disc, entrusted production, and so on.

While MCC has been moving to intensify the Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Group’s business portfolio management based on the Group’s medium-term management plan “APTSIS 20,” CMC expects to enhance the storage media business not only through its own production technology, but also by building upon the MCC Group’s accumulated global sales network, technology, and so on, making the agreement advantageous to both parties.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Mitsubishi Chemical Transfers Storage Media Business To

Postby Dartman on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:26 pm

It's getting harder and harder to find quality media and this isn't helping.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:41 am

Sorry to hear about this. Didn't CMC buy licensing in recent years for Taiyo Yuden optical media technology?
Verbatim/MCC DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and BD-R disks have been my favorite.
Hope they will maintain the brands and the quality of the brands.
Fortunately I have plenty of media for now and near future, and don't use optical disks as much as I used to, but I do still use them.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:15 am

I bought a couple of bdr cake boxes a while back and have been very slowly working through them when I feel like making compilation HD blue ray disks and I finally have a full ulhd player that can play any disk reliably. Now it would be nice to get a deal on some 50 gig dl disks just like when I bought the first DL emergency survival disk set that included one dual layer dvd blank and a bunch of regular dvdr disks. I think the disk I burned still plays wherever I stashed it. Used a NEC 2500 that got the firmware upgraded to allow burning DL disks, I still have the drive too.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion