Rovi Corporation, driving digital entertainment innovation, today unveiled DivX 10, the first consumer software application to enable the free creation and playback of DivX video in the new High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265) standard. This innovative software application puts the power of HEVC – a standard expected to deliver up to double the compression of H.264 – into consumers’ hands for the first time with DivX. Rovi is demonstrating DivX 10 at IFA this week in Hall 25, Stand 151.
DivX 10 is the latest in a long line of DivX consumer software that collectively has been downloaded close to 1 billion times. Available via www.divx.com as a free download for Windows and Mac computers, DivX 10 lets consumers easily create DivX HEVC video up to 1080p for high quality playback across multiple screens, including personal computers, mobile phones and tablets, and consumer electronics (CE) devices.
“We believe DivX 10 is an application that will help fuel HEVC content availability and generate demand for playback support to be integrated into consumer electronics devices,” said Kanaan Jemili, senior vice president, product management, Rovi Corp. “A first of its kind, DivX 10 is one element of a broader DivX HEVC ecosystem spanning software, hardware, content and services that could help companies realize new cost savings and improve the video entertainment experience for consumers.”
DivX 10 enables consumers to play, create and stream the video formats that matter, including new HEVC video. Other features include:
- New DivX HEVC profiles supported across DivX Converter, DivX Player and DivX Web Player
- Real-time decoding of HEVC video up to 1080p on Intel Core i5
- Encoding of HEVC HM11 video up to 1080p with AAC, MP3, or AC3 audio
- Optimized playback with reverse/forward seek, pause, and play
- Efficient HEVC streaming in the browser with DivX Web Player
- Powerful MKV container to deliver subtitles, chapters, and compatibility with existing toolsets
- High-quality DivX and MKV video for viewing on DivX supported computers and consumer electronics devices
- Creation of MP4 video for playback on iOS
- Available in 11 languages, including new support for Italian, Korean and Russian
DivX 10 is part of a significant effort by Rovi to accelerate HEVC adoption across the video industry. In early 2013, Rovi rolled out an HEVC Development Program to allow companies to take advantage of the latest compression standard to reduce costs and deliver optimized viewing experiences even in bandwidth constrained environments. During IFA, Rovi is showcasing its end-to-end HEVC solution line that, in addition to DivX 10, includes new MainConcept® encoding SDKs for professional content creators; the DivX Video Service™ with proven DivX DRM for protected HEVC content delivery across multiple screens, and an extension to its DivX Certification® program that allows integrated circuit (IC) and CE device customers to quickly bring to market mobile and consumer electronics products that support high-quality HEVC playback.