Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG 8161B Firmware Flashing

How fast is too fast?

LG 8161B Firmware Flashing

Postby JesusFreak on Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:18 pm

I downloaded the latest firmware for this drive, LG 8161B, and the readme is in Korean I believe. Anyone know what the exact command line parameters are?

My drive is on IDE 1, and is slave to my hard drive.

The files included with the download are:

1101u10b.dld - actual firmware
Flashup.exe
JD2.bat

Please help! Or should I just leave it alone with the 100 firmare installed?
Comments/Questions welcome.
- WaterCooled to Perfection @ www.benscustomcases.com with the ZeusBox II W/C! -
JesusFreak
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:30 am

I don't know the command line, but I would imagine that you could get the US version of the firmware here at LG's support site. I would be surprised if it didn't have an English readme.

P.S. I like your nickname!
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby cfitz on Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:54 am

It isn't on the US support site yet. In fact, I can't even find it on the Korean site anymore. But based on the readme file and what is contained in the batch file, you should use one of the following commands:

Code: Select all
flashup 1100u50b.dld  0 /C /O
flashup 1100u50b.dld  1 /C /O
flashup 1100u50b.dld  2 /C /O
flashup 1100u50b.dld  3 /C /O

The second parameter indicates the position of your drive on the IDE bus. Pick the proper command based on the following table:

Primary Master : 0
Primary Slave : 1
Secondary Master : 2
Secondary Slave : 3

Make sure you choose correctly, or you might fry another drive on your bus that happens to be where you mistakenly directed the flash.

(By the way, I don't read Korean. The above is based on the non-Korean parts of the readme file and inspection of the batch file.)

As to whether or not you should upgrade, at least ask yourself if you have any need to do so. Are you having any problems that an upgrade might fix? Are you willing to use the Korean updater, without being able to read and understand the complete readme file?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives