Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Advice on External Burner Please - TDK VeloCD?

Burn baby burn!

Advice on External Burner Please - TDK VeloCD?

Postby taxman150 on Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:43 pm

I'm interested in a new external USB 2.0 CD-RW burner for my P4, 2.66Ghz computer. I'm going external rather than internal because its a Sony Vaio and they come with Sony's proprietary side tower bezels that don't allow enough room for replacement of an internal drive without removing the bezeling entirely (which I'm not really interested in doing). The computer came with an DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive that burns CD-R's at only 8X, which is why I want to buy a dedicated CD-RW burner.

Based on what I've read, I'm leaning towards the TDK VeloCD UE-481648, over the Plextor Plexwriter 48X24X48. Any opinions on this or whether I should consider any others? I understand that the TDK is based on a Liteon drive and am wondering if I would be better served to buy another Liteon based external drive that does rewrites in 24X. I will probably be burning mostly cd-r's, at least initially, and will be looking for something that is speedy, but reliable. I also don't want to worry too much about the media that I have to use.

I'm a cd-r newbie, so please excuse my lack of expertise. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike
taxman150@hotmail.com
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives