Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Another HD DVD / Combo disc problem?

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Another HD DVD / Combo disc problem?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:14 pm

This was posted by Engadget, so please take it with a grain of salt:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/12/17/ha ... 60-hd-dvd/

It seems a little early to tell if this issue is widespread, but judging from the amount of tips we've received to go along with the growing complaints on the 'net, we're starting to wonder if we do indeed have a problem. Apparently, the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix HD DVD has been problematic when used in the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on, with quirks ranging from lockups to an outright lack of playback. It has been suggested that the non-combo version actually plays fine while the HD DVD / DVD combo iteration presents problems, leaving some to wonder if it's a format issue rather than the title itself. So, what say ye? Anyone experiencing these difficulties? If so, have you found a workaround / solution?

It's been a while since we've last heard complaints like this... but still, it makes you wonder why the combo format is still being used at all! :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:54 pm

And yet, the HD DVD PRG reported a film would soon be released on this combo format ONLY, bypassing the DVD release. :o #-o I like the format, it's a shame they're having so many problems.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:11 am

Well I just watched it last night in my A2, not one hickup at all, looked nice. It's a nice idea for the folks that might be thinking about getting a hddvd player or a combo unit someday, not so great for the folks that don't care and just want the cheap dvd version.
I thought they had dropped the combo disks, oh well.
Might be a problem with how thick the disk is for some drives, like when they tried it for the combo high res audio disks.
I'm pretty sure every one of the 4 I bought yesterday were combo disks come to think of it.
Let's see, pay 32 bucks for a combo disk, or the regular dvd for 15 on sale...hmmm...
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:05 am

vinnie97 wrote:And yet, the HD DVD PRG reported a film would soon be released on this combo format ONLY, bypassing the DVD release. :o #-o I like the format, it's a shame they're having so many problems.

It's much too early for that in my opinion.... a lot of people will see it as raising the cost of a title by $10 for no good reason. I can see what Toshiba would want a studio to do it, but I think that's something that should be done around 2009, not 2008. Just my 2 cents.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 pm

I hate flipper discs of any form. I'm having trouble with some of my Star Trek TOS HD-DVD/SD DVD combo discs. Haven't had a chance to go through all of them, but so far 1 out of 3 won't play at all, there are 10 discs in total. Apparently Paramount is shipping replacements as required. Absolute shit packaging on that set too by the way, I pulled all the discs and put them in a 10 DVD case. At least none of mine arrived scratched, like a lot of people are reporting. The picture quality is quite amazing considering the age of the series, noncombo discs and any other form of packaging would make it a must have set.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:25 pm

Yikes! I'm really sorry to hear that Grain! :o That was a very pricey set to get too, you'd THINK they'd put a little more effort into the packaging. It's pretty bad if you spend that kind of money just to end up with a package you can't effectively use because it's liable to scratch your discs up :-?

I'm really wondering if maybe the combo format shouldn't just be dropped entirely? #-o

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Die combos die!
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:26 pm

I'd really like to see the combo discs go away, I've never liked them, in fact it's fair to say I've always hated them. I have quite a few, and have never stuck the SD side in on any of them. When you've got the HD version, you'd watch the SD version why? As for the packaging on the Star Trek TOS set, very very disappointing.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:46 am

Best Buy was giving away South Park's "Fun with Weapons" episode on a HD-DVD flipper a while back. It actually play's well, was pretty neat to see the boy's in widescreen HD. Looked surprisingly good considering the low res nature of the show.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives