Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Anyone Know About SVHS Cables?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Anyone Know About SVHS Cables?

Postby craiger on Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:15 pm

I just got a new JVC VCR/DVD player combo unit. In one diagram it tells me I can hook it up using an SVHS video cable connected from the combo unit to the SVHS on the TV and two audio cables connected from the TV to the DVD player only. Does the SVHS cable have built in audio cables so you don't need two audio cables for the VHS part? I have an older TV without a composite video connection. But I do have an SVHS connection. Thanks, Craig.
craiger

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:14 pm

This part of the forum isn't for tech questions. I'm moving this thread.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: Anyone Know About SVHS Cables?

Postby jjones on Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:28 pm

craiger wrote:I just got a new JVC VCR/DVD player combo unit. In one diagram it tells me I can hook it up using an SVHS video cable connected from the combo unit to the SVHS on the TV and two audio cables connected from the TV to the DVD player only. Does the SVHS cable have built in audio cables so you don't need two audio cables for the VHS part? I have an older TV without a composite video connection. But I do have an SVHS connection. Thanks, Craig.

The SVHS (or sometimes called S-video) cable is for video only. You need separate cables for audio. The regular composite audio cables will have the red and white colors on the connectors. You probably mean that your TV does not have "component" video connection which most older TV's lack. However almost all TVs should have "composite" video which is usually a yellow connector.

If you want higher quality audio, you need digital audio connection which most DVD players will come with these days. For this you need to connect it to a receiver for the better audio sound. There are 2 different types of digital audio connection, a coaxial and a optical and the ends look different.
jjones
CD-RW Thug

Return to General Hardware Discussion