Home News Reviews Forums Shop

ARGH! Stupid people at work...

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

ARGH! Stupid people at work...

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:50 pm

The place where I work is completly insane sometimes! We just printed up some flyers promoting Mitsui's DVD-R media... it goes on about how high quality they are, and how all the drive manufacturers are optomizing everything to Mitsui's Phthalocyanine dye type, and using excellent write strategys that now other media can compare to... ugh, it's utter BULL**** and you better believe I will not be sending those flyers out to *my* customers! Heck, we don't even STOCK Mitsui's DVD media, since it sucks, and nobody wants to pay $8.00 CDN a disc. I have *no* idea why these stupid things were even made.

Anyways, I just had to get that off of my chest. Now I can go back to happily selling Ritek and Taiyo Yuden products :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:53 pm

That's right,let it out.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:08 pm

Some people still think Mitsui is the shiz. Personally, I've never bought into the hype.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby jase on Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:55 pm

Is there not a possibility that, as with CDR media, manufacturers will be forced to go over to phthalocyanine in the end once the speed starts to ramp up to 12 and 16 speed? Just a thought.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:40 pm

jase wrote:Is there not a possibility that, as with CDR media, manufacturers will be forced to go over to phthalocyanine in the end once the speed starts to ramp up to 12 and 16 speed? Just a thought.

There's nothing wrong with 52x Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs with Cyanine dye, or 52x Azo discs...well, okay there *ARE* problems with 52x Azo discs, but I think it's all related to the fact that CMC makes them all now :evil:

I'm almost done my Mitsui CD-R testing (just the regular silver 74min type) and the results are interesting... My LiteON drives don't seem to like them as much as my Pioneer and Plextor drives, but as long as I stay out of the fast and slow extreems they do ok... but that's the problem. Most of the results are in the 2.5 c1 average level, and most T.Y. media is in the <1.0 C1 error average area...

I think I'll buy some Mitsui DVD-Rs in the future so I can debunk them :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:50 pm

I must admit I did like Mitsui discs in the early days. If you wrote them slowly and read back slowly on a LiteOn 52x, the error rates were exceptionally low. I was often getting <20 C1 errors on an entire disc :)

When I mentioned manufacturers I guess I should have said the Taiwanese ones. It is possible of course to make an extremely high quality high-speed cyanine CDR. But it's also very difficult; it seems to be a lot easier to make a good high-speed phthalocyanine disc; witness the 16x Prodisc that burned at 40x quite happily all day long and with low error rates, and they weren't even trying.
jase
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden