Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Back It ip 2.0 restore difficulties - critical files needed

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Back It ip 2.0 restore difficulties - critical files needed

Postby Slavens on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Let me outline the situation first:

A friend's laptop had to go in to have the LCD inverter replaced (no backlight) so I tried to back it up over out 100baseTX LAN. Nero 6.6 Back it Up wouldn't work for whatever reason, so I downloaded the demo for Nero 7. This one allowed me to back the computer up over the LAN to DVD. The problem now is that I can't restore the backup, either locally or over the LAN. When I try to initialte the restore using the 20060112_3511_rhonda28.nba file ( the last file in the backup, everything appears to progress normally. When it gets to the window where it should be extracting the files, the dialog says that it's decompressing the files, but the DVD Drive isn't being accessed and no files are actually copied to the hard drive.

A couple of things to note:
1. the laptop was backed up over the network from shares at the root of C:\ and D:\ partitions (NTSF)
2. the backup spans 3 DVDs
3 the .nbi file was NOT recorded on any of the dvds. It's on my local hdd in c:\documents and settings\obsidian\application data\ahead\nero backitup\files\20060112_3511_rhonda2.nbi
4 the laptop is joined to our (windows 2000 server based) domain and I'm logged in as a domain admin, so I do have full write permissions to the laptop.
5 the laptop is named Xera, just as it was when I backed it up.
6 the screen where I select the backup path shows that the proper locations are selected and have room for the restore, but the bext screen shows 0 free space on the target drives.
7 when I run the restore it 'completes successfully' without extracting any files or accessing the dvds that the files are on.
8 the restore fails whether it is run from the laptop as a local or network restore, and from the desktop PC across the network.

Both computers are running Windows XP Professional. Mine (the desktop) has XP2 and is where the backup was created and burned directly to DVD (an HP dvd740) The laptop does not have SP2.

here is one of the restore logs:

03:45:04 PM Nero BackItUp : 2.0.4.3
03:45:04 PM [Restore Process]
03:45:04 PM Microsoft Windows XP
03:45:04 PM Backup name: Rhonda2
03:45:04 PM Created by: obsidian
03:45:04 PM LOG creation date: 2006/02/25
03:45:05 PM Restore started
Source file: RestoreDocBase.cpp, Line: 558

03:45:05 PM Decompression of file(s) started.
Source file: RestoreDocBase.cpp, Line: 566

03:45:07 PM Open file/folder (\\Xera\d\Library.xml) for writing has been failed. System error: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.
Source file: LBWinFile.cpp, Line: 102

03:45:07 PM Open file/folder (\\Xera\d\temp\XINTER~1.cab) for writing has been failed. System error: (3) The system cannot find the path specified.

03:45:07 PM Open file/folder (\\Xera\d\temp\XFIRE_~1.cab) for writing has been failed. System error: (3) The system cannot find the path specified.

03:45:07 PM Open file/folder (\\Xera\d\temp\WINDRV~1.cab) for writing has been failed. System error: (3) The system cannot find the path specified.

.... some omitted for length, all errors are the same

05:18:52 PM Open file/folder (\\Xera\c\$VAULT$.AVG) for writing has been failed. System error: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

05:18:52 PM Open file/folder (\\Xera) for writing has been failed. System error: (123) The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

05:18:52 PM Decompression of file(s) completed successfully.
Source file: RestoreDocBase.cpp, Line: 617

05:18:52 PM 0 files restored.
Source file: RestoreDocBase.cpp, Line: 659

05:18:52 PM Restore process completed successfully.
Source file: RestoreDocBase.cpp, Line: 664

######################################################################
######################################################################

Yeah, it really took that long..

I can post other files as needed.

I am currently trying to restore the backup directly from the laptop's hard drive. I copied all of the .nba files to c:\documents and settings\obsidian\application data\ahead\nero backitup\files\ along with the .nbi file. So far no good.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Rhonda has been without the laptop for a week, and she needs it (and the files in the backup) for school.
Slavens
Buffer Underrun

Postby Slavens on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:30 pm

OK, I verified that BackITup 2.0 says that it is 'capable of backing up over a local network' and should have worked. Is there some hidden clause tht if the product is the Demo version that it can't restore a backup?

If that's the case, I'll happily purchase the software. If it's a fully enabled product, then Nero's statement that you can back up across a network is VERY misleading. I DID successfully back up over our network; HOWEVER, I cannot RESTORE over a network. Please note that Nero does not define what they mean by backing up over a network, i.e.: whether the remote host is the place to store the backup file or is the host that needs to be backed up. This is a rather critical omission of detail.

I still need to recover the backup and restore it to the laptop. Is there anyone who can give me a path to resolution?
Slavens
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:59 pm

hi Slavens, welcome to CDRLabs.

try contacting Craig Campbell, he's a Nero rep who regularly attends this forum. maybe he can help.

his email: Techsupport4@nero.com

refer him to this topic.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Slavens on Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:55 am

Thanks! I just dropped him a quick email.
Slavens
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:33 am

hope that helps.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)