Home News Reviews Forums Shop

best of the best?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

best of the best?

Postby strainsa on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:07 pm

After accumulating over 200 movie DVDs, some which are out of print, I would like to make copies of the movies and play the copies while storing the originals. Some questions for the experts here. If I was going to buy a DVD writer for copying my DVD movie collection, what would be the best writer for doing this (quality is tops)? What would be the best DVD media for doing this? Does a slower write speed get you less errors (PI / PIF)? Any links to reviews / ratings outside of CDRLabs would be appreciated. Thanks for the great forum.
strainsa
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:45 pm

Check here for writer reviews: www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters
Write speed isn't important,media and a quality writer are.
I recommend using Fuji,Maxell or Verbatim DLP media...look for Made in Japan.If you buy media online look for Taiyo Yuden.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby falberni on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:12 pm

I currently have a Pioneer burner and I'm very happy with it. It is very reliable and it can burn anything you through at it. The latest model of Pioneer burners is 109D or 109XL, which is the retail version.

For media if you want the best I can suggest any DVD-R 8X rated media that is made in Japan. Although I've used a lot of average quality stuff too and I get excellent results with them as well. Make sure whatever DVD writer you get to update the firmware by using its latest patch.

For DVD ripping and trascoding, DVD Shrink freeware would be an excellent start.

For burning I use the latest version of Nero.
falberni
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:22 pm

One more thing,make sure you use the right format(eg DVD-R,DVD+R,DVD-ROM).For best compatibility I recommend using DVD+R with the DVD-ROM booktype(bitsetting).
Check here for your DVD player: www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:32 am

my vote goes to either 108 or 109 pioneer drives
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:47 am

I have both the NEC ND-3500A and the Plextor PX-716A. Both are excellent drives...but as of firmware 1.04 for the Plextor, it is an Incredible drive. Low error rates and excellent quality whether you burn at 8X, 12X or 16X. Plextor is also known for the best Dual Layer quality burns as well. The NEC is a bit older model, and the newer model 3520 actually does better reading data...but the 3500 still burns better quality disks. If you want an Excellent reader and writer...get the Plextor. A bit more expensive (usually around $149 with a $30 rebate through March)...and Plextor's support is also the best.

Good Luck

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:49 am

The Pioneer drives are excellent. I also like the BenQ 1620 and the NEC 3500 as I have both of those and they also do great jobs. The best all around at the moment in my system is the 1620.
I'd probably do the Pioneer or the 1620 myself, however the Pioneer can't do
bitsetting on single layer plus media yet and the BenQ will do it on it's own. That might change as the drive gets more firmware updates and possible reworked ones :P
The 109 is faster with rewritable and will be able to do DL minus soon so that's some points also in it's favor.
Read all the reviews and check the diferent forums for actual user comments and you can decide which drive fits your needs and be happy with whatever you choose.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers