Home News Reviews Forums Shop


BluRay continues to dominate on Amazon.com

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Postby Grain on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:15 pm

Hopefully a year from now we'll all have multi format burners burning $2 discs =D> ! Maybe we should start a pool, everyone pick dates on when they(media) will hit a certain price.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:12 am
Location: Canada

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Grain wrote:Hopefully a year from now we'll all have multi format burners burning $2 discs =D> ! Maybe we should start a pool, everyone pick dates on when they(media) will hit a certain price.


I certainly hope not!!

Multi-format doesn't do anyone any good. And HDDVD-R is a lousy format anyways. I'll stick with burning HD DVD content onto BD-Rs thank you very much :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Wesociety on Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:44 pm

$2 per disc is probably a bit too hopeful and aggressive.
MAYBE we'll see $10 per disc by years end or beginning of next year.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Grain on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:25 am

I personally wouldn't have a problem with multi format, gotten used to +R and -R easily, and even DVD-RAM, but it certainly would be easier with one media type.

re burning HD-DVD content onto BD's, has that been successfully done?! IMO if it's possible, that would be a huge nail in HD-DVD's coffin. The theory behind it is sound from this laymans point of view, same codecs etc, different menu structure's/software though, but I suspect that could be worked around.

$2 is optomistic, but then again, so am I! Your correct though, DVD DL's have only recently finally broken the $2 mark on a regular basis, so $2 HD media is likely years off.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:12 am
Location: Canada

Postby Wesociety on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:35 am

Grain wrote:I personally wouldn't have a problem with multi format ...

Me neither

Grain wrote:re burning HD-DVD content onto BD's, has that been successfully done?! IMO if it's possible, that would be a huge nail in HD-DVD's coffin. The theory behind it is sound from this laymans point of view, same codecs etc, different menu structure's/software though, but I suspect that could be worked around.

I'm sure that it is possible and that it will be done eventually (and vice-versa). I haven't seen any successful reports of someone doing it yet though...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:01 pm

Wesociety wrote:$2 per disc is probably a bit too hopeful and aggressive.
MAYBE we'll see $10 per disc by years end or beginning of next year.


We've already *SEEN* $10 USD per disc.... we'll see it again too. I suspect we'll see $7-$8 a disc by the end of this year.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Wesociety wrote:
Grain wrote:I personally wouldn't have a problem with multi format ...

Me neither


I deffinately would! You have to try to understand it literally doubles the amount of work required for many MANY companies, not to mention doubles the amount of space taken to display HiDef movies in retail stores.

I can easily say, nobody who works anywhere in the industry of movie distribution or media replication, or even recordable media, wants to see both formats survive. It's not like with DVD-R and DVD+R where both formats were a part of DVD, which was a standardized format, although that too was a major pain in the ass for everyone (and still is!).

Anyways, I hope to goodness this format war will end. This technology is too confusing for the common person as it is, and it certainly doesn't need to get any worse. And the fact that this is happening because 1 company couldn't get over their ego and join the rest of the crowd, is a little sickening. But this is not something unexpected from a company like Toshiba.

Wesociety wrote:
Grain wrote:re burning HD-DVD content onto BD's, has that been successfully done?! IMO if it's possible, that would be a huge nail in HD-DVD's coffin. The theory behind it is sound from this laymans point of view, same codecs etc, different menu structure's/software though, but I suspect that could be worked around.

I'm sure that it is possible and that it will be done eventually (and vice-versa). I haven't seen any successful reports of someone doing it yet though...


Vice-Versa would require there to be HDDVD-R burners available... so we'll have to see if Toshiba can ever make that happen. I'm not holding my breath personally.

As for burning HD DVD content onto BD-Rs, I don't believe there is any publically available information regarding successful attempts. I'm sure that when it happens it will be quick to leak onto the net however... people like their bragging rights after all :wink: But I have no doubts about it being possible, and I have no doubts that it is being worked on. There is too much demand for Serenity on Blu-Ray, and Universal is missing their chance :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Wesociety on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:We've already *SEEN* $10 USD per disc.... we'll see it again too. I suspect we'll see $7-$8 a disc by the end of this year.

Ok, what I should have said is that we'll see an AVERAGE price of about $10 per disc by end of year. There might have been some rare $10 sales that we've seen here and there, but you walk into any B&M store with BD-R or HD DVD-R media and you're more likely to find pricing closer to $20 per disc right now.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Wesociety on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:23 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:... it literally doubles the amount of work required for many MANY companies, not to mention doubles the amount of space taken to display HiDef movies in retail stores.

Good points that I really wasn't considering...

dolphinius_rex wrote:As for burning HD DVD content onto BD-Rs, I don't believe there is any publically available information regarding successful attempts. I'm sure that when it happens it will be quick to leak onto the net however... people like their bragging rights after all :wink: But I have no doubts about it being possible, and I have no doubts that it is being worked on. There is too much demand for Serenity on Blu-Ray, and Universal is missing their chance :wink:

Yep, I'm confident that it will happen. Probably sooner than later. :D
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
User avatar
Wesociety
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Previous

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.