Well I've posted about this a a few small forums I use and figured you guys would want to hear it as well, I BOUGHT A HOUSE
My property manager sent us a 60 day get out notice back about early June and it took till end of August to find a affordable and acceptable house to buy. Property manager said she'd work with us if we needed more time, I said I'd buy the crappy house we were in IF the price was reasonable, and also found a buyers agent and started the search.
Turns out the owner wanted 50k more then my old house would ever be worth, then the property manager wouldn't give us any more time when I told her we were having trouble finding another affordable house to move to with about a month to go on our no fault get out notice, I offered to continue paying rent and mowing the yard till we found something even.
We did find the place we are in now finally but it was a accidental find when my Realtor was out of town so her backup guy, who we had used to look at one house before and really liked also, showed us a house then said let me show you another house close by I think you'll like.
It was a Manufactured home, on it's own small plot in a nice area, no garage or on site storage like I needed, but all the important stuff was new or replaced and it had been installed properly on a foundation and never moved since new in 96.
We decided to go for it as compared to all the other fixer uppers we looked at everything was nice, the inside was mostly brand new, and it has 4 bedrooms and 1400 sf. Our old place was 864sf two bedroom with a small car port made into a garage.
I rented a big pod, and eventually a 17 foot U Haul box truck once we had everything pretty much secured, the property manager took us to court because we didn't get out on the assigned day, even after we called and told her we had a house now but were just waiting for it to close and we'd gladly pay the rent till we had the new house at the end of August.
We made a deal with her lawyer at the hearing and eventually got till the 26th of august to get out, and we did pay the rent till that date
The house ended up closing late, we had to RENT 3 days early so we could move in before our new get out date and the whole family came out and helped us move to our new place, then we had the pod brought over and started unpacking our stuff as much as we could.
The property manager wasn't too happy of course as we ran out of garbage can space and had to just make piles of leftovers which we were going to pack up or have someone take later but she never bothered to show up on the assigned day and hour to get the keys or ask about what we were going to do with the extra stuff, or the next day either, and we stayed late to make sure the inside of the house was empty and get my extra cars moved over to the neighbors who was nice enough to let me park them beside his house for a few days till I could get insurance on them for a temporary move.
SO anyways we are now all moved over, the cars are here, I'm having a small storage shed built on October 10th that should hold all our extra crap, the house is huge inside compared to our old one, has new double pane windows, siding, sub floor, carpet, stainless steel appliances, roof, kitchen cabinets, etc.
They fixed most of the minor problems it still had before we moved in and the rest is small things I can deal with cheap
all this for under 120k and 60 bucks less a month then we were paying to RENT our old place
I sleep like a baby, it's very quite inside with the windows closed, it has extra insulation everywhere, and is just plain nice inside and out with a few things we'll eventually redo or replace but everything works fine as is.
I would have liked to be farther away from town with a bit more land but I think with the shed and some RV parking space graveled beside the house this will work great and the neighbors seem nice so far.
It's a FHA loan so all the taxes and insurance are paid when we send in our payment each month, the interest rate was very low, and it's fully assumable if we ever decide to sell out for another place, they get the same locked rate and deal we got.
Here's one of the listings for it, and we paid less then stated http://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/12642 ... e/26322789
one with inside pics http://www.estately.com/sold/12642-se-boise-st