Home News Reviews Forums Shop

burner for music recommendation

Burn baby burn!

burner for music recommendation

Postby MasterBash on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi :]

I heard a good cd burner is better than dvd burner to burn musics, is this true?

Now considering this, I'm looking for the best burning to burn music... and only music. I want a high quality burner dedicated for this task as my preview one sucks at burning music cd's.

I thought about the Plextor 230A... anyone have any thought on this? thanks. I appreciate it.
MasterBash
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:04 pm

AFAIK, bad burners are bad and good burners are good.

I'd be surprised if burners knew the difference between music and backups of photographs. I suspect if you are making Audio CDs, it might make a difference between one good burner and another good one.
OTH, if you are burning mp3's to play in a CD player that can play that format, it probably just looks like any other kind of data to it.

One difference between cda files and data in general is that burners can do error correction on general data, which is not the case for Audio CDs.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby MasterBash on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:25 pm

So you are saying any good burners will do the same job? I don't think so...
My old burner was a dvd writer at the time, AOpen DUW1608ARR and it was "ok" for movies, but for audio, it plain sucked, so I'm looking for a burner to very good job when it comes to audio cd's, best quality. I read somewhere that dvd burners are generally not as good as dedicated cd burners for music, but that might not be true?

I know a burner wont see the difference between data and audio, but what I meant was that I really want a high quality burners so my music does not sound terrible, skip and everything.

Anyone have any thought on the PX-230A?
MasterBash
Buffer Underrun

Postby DrageMester on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:55 pm

MasterBash wrote:I read somewhere that dvd burners are generally not as good as dedicated cd burners for music, but that might not be true?

Drives can be good or bad depending on all sorts of things, and the opinion that a CD-RW burner must be better than a DVD burner at burning CD media is quite common. I don't entirely agree with that opinion, however.

The best drive you could buy for burning CD-R media would probably be the Plextor PlexWriter Premium2 which is a dedicated CD-R(W) drive and 3-4 times more expensive than other consumer drives. I don't have this drive myself.

I generally find that my BenQ DW1655 (hard to get), NEC ND-4551A (very hard to get) and Pioneer DVR-111 (easy to get) are very good CD burners, provided that I don't burn CD-R media at too high a speed.

For Audio CDs I suggest you burn at 16x or slower to achieve lowest possible BLER (error rate) and Jitter. If you are prepared to perform quality scans of your media, then you may be able to determine a more exact optimum than this rule of thumb.

And remember to use high quality CD-R media such as e.g. Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.
Pioneer DVR-112L, LiteOn SHM-165P6S, Pioneer DVR-111L, BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A
LiteOn LH-20A1P, Optiarc AD-7203A, Matshita UJ-840S, Sony RDR-HX910, Sony RDR-HX750
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:59 pm

MasterBash wrote:So you are saying any good burners will do the same job? I don't think so...

That's not what Cowboy said. Read the second sentence in his 2nd paragraph.

My Benq DW1640 is a great CD burner.

I wouldn't get the 230A.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:09 pm

stix wrote:I wouldn't get the 230A.

I'd have to agree. The only thing you're getting by buying that is the Plextor name.

At this point, most DVD writers produce semi-decent results when burning CD's. For best results, you'll want to use good quality media and as others suggested, slowing the writing speed down a bit.

If you want to take it a step further, there are technologies on some of Plextor's professinal drives (Premium, 716A, 760A, etc) that can help improve the quality. Personally, I've never had the need for it though.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:55 pm

That's right.
When I make Audio CDs, I use Made in Japan, Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs and burn them at 16 or 24X with a Lite-On/Memorex 52x, 24x, 52x CD burner,
which was one of the best.

I use my NEC ND-3520A DVD+RW drive only for burning DVD media, Verbatim only.

When I make CDs with the music in MP3 or WMA format, I still burn at the slower speeds as I'm not sure of the error correction.
I'm not certain that the writing software does error checking and put the corrections at the end of the CD or not for those formats.
If it does, I'm also not certain that a CD player can deal with those corrections as can the software in a PC when you are reading files back in.

So look for a Lite-On CD burner or the Pioneer 111 DVD burner and Verbatim media.

YMMV, particularly if you try other stuff.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby MasterBash on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:45 pm

Currently, I own a Plextor 760A, which is great unlike my aopen one, but I only burned movies so far and I need a burner for my other computer.

So since you don't recommend the 230A, should I go with another 760A? or which one of the 4 of the that DrageMester mentioned (If I'm able to get a hold of the plextor premium2)? I'm wondering if the premium2 would be worth it, since I can't find any reviews?

I use verbatims and never burn over 16x.
MasterBash
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives