Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Buying HDDs at CompUSA

What was that?

Buying HDDs at CompUSA

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:13 pm

It seems like CompUSA just doesn't take good care of their HDDs before they sell them. In the past 2 years, I have bought 2 Western Digitals and 2 Maxtors from CompUSA, and 3 had problems within the first two weeks. The other one had problems within the first year, but I didn't realize that it was bad until the warranty had expired. :cry:

In contrast, I haven't had any other hard drives that I've ever owned die before reaching at least 7 years of age, and I've owned at least 8 other hard drives in the last 4 or 5 years (I got some of them used).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:24 pm

Wow, that's pretty bad luck. I've got a couple drives from CompUSA and have had no problems so far. Knock on wood!
User avatar
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:28 am

Postby eliminator on Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:08 am

switch to Fry's, they got the best prices on WDs too ! :wink:
Wake up ATI :-)
User avatar
eliminator
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:15 am
Location: TheLoneStarState

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:56 am

eliminator wrote:switch to Fry's, they got the best prices on WDs too ! :wink:


I would, but there are not any Fry's stores even remotely near to me. :cry:

I hope your drives continue to work, UALOneKPlus! My problems could just be coincidences, or maybe my local CompUSA is just particularly rough on the drives.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Re: Buying HDDs at CompUSA

Postby tlotz on Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:04 am

LiteOnGuy wrote:It seems like CompUSA just doesn't take good care of their HDDs before they sell them. In the past 2 years, I have bought 2 Western Digitals and 2 Maxtors from CompUSA, and 3 had problems within the first two weeks. The other one had problems within the first year, but I didn't realize that it was bad until the warranty had expired. :cry:

In contrast, I haven't had any other hard drives that I've ever owned die before reaching at least 7 years of age, and I've owned at least 8 other hard drives in the last 4 or 5 years (I got some of them used).

Over the years, I've bought a 2-3 Western Digital hard drive from CompUSA. One of those 2-3 hard drives is my current WD Cavier 120GB Special Edition (8 MB buffer) drive. I've never had a problem. I love when they put the WD hard drives (and other products) on sale *with* huge rebates. I got my current 120 GB Special Editon WD drive for $160 after rebate in August 2002, which, at that time, was a spectacular deal. The drive had a $100 rebate, and I did get that rebate check.
tlotz
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:48 am

Re: Buying HDDs at CompUSA

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:10 am

tlotz wrote:Over the years, I've bought a 2-3 Western Digital hard drive from CompUSA. One of those 2-3 hard drives is my current WD Cavier 120GB Special Edition (8 MB buffer) drive. I've never had a problem. I love when they put the WD hard drives (and other products) on sale *with* huge rebates. I got my current 120 GB Special Editon WD drive for $160 after rebate in August 2002, which, at that time, was a spectacular deal. The drive had a $100 rebate, and I did get that rebate check.


Good deal! I'm just glad to hear that my experiences don't seem to be common.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby eliminator on Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:23 am

"I would, but there are not any Fry's stores even remotely near to me."

sorry to hear that bud :(
Wake up ATI :-)
User avatar
eliminator
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:15 am
Location: TheLoneStarState

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:29 am

I wish I had Fry's, though. They always have such good deals! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby eliminator on Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:16 am

yup - just checked today's ad - Maxtor 200GB/133/8MB ... $ 138, after mir ! :wink:
Wake up ATI :-)
User avatar
eliminator
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:15 am
Location: TheLoneStarState

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:28 pm

And my luck gets worse...

I just got back from exchanging the Maxtor drive (for the second time), and that new one is defective, too! :evil: I wonder if Maxtor made a whole bad batch of these drives (30GB 7200RPM ATA133), or if someone dropped a whole crate of them and damaged them.

BTW, the problem is that the drive vibrates excessively (even when it isn't accessing data), and it makes a high-pitched whine. I have bought two other Maxtors recently (at places other than CompUSA), and neither vibrates, and neither whines, either.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby CDRecorder on Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:33 pm

I actually wanted to return the drive, but they wouldn't take it back because the original upc wasn't on the box (sent to Maxtor for a rebate before I knew the original drive was bad). I did have a copy of the UPC and all of my rebate forms, but they still wouldn't take it. They wouldn't take it even after I assured them that I wouldn't cash the rebate if they took the drive back.

Has anyone been able to return an item without a UPC to CompUSA? I have been able to do so at OfficeMax, but not today at CompUSA.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby eliminator on Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:10 pm

that's BULL - they HAVE to replace the drive itself within 30 days with OR without the UPC code !! :x
Wake up ATI :-)
User avatar
eliminator
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:15 am
Location: TheLoneStarState

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:02 am

I finally got them to let me return the drive, but they charged me with a 15% restocking fee. :evil: Oh, well, not everything works out right in this world. :cry:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Postby eliminator on Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:46 am

I never paid that fee - it all depends on the store mngr. tho... :roll:
Wake up ATI :-)
User avatar
eliminator
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:15 am
Location: TheLoneStarState


Return to Rants n' Raves

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2020 CDRLabs Inc.