Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can CD/DVD Drives get viruses?

Burn baby burn!

Can CD/DVD Drives get viruses?

Postby jamr on Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:45 am

:( Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem.
My Sony DVD RW (DRU-510A) will now only read DVD movies, Program disks or any bought disks. It will no longer read any disks that have been burnt- cdr's or cdrw's.. It used to work fine.....
I also have a HP Mitsumi cr-48x5te , which is a CD RW drive...It too will no longer read any disks that have been burnt- cdr's or cdrw's.. It used to work fine...
The reason I mentioned virus in the subject heading is that just before all this trouble I was infected with; W32.welchia.b.worm and W3 Blaster.worm plus a few others...
After having my DVD Burner replaced under warranty twice (as I thought it was the problem) I am now having my doubts.. and this is why;
I installed my DVD Burner into my friends computer to see if it was in fact the burner that was stuffed and guess what? It wouldn't work on his system either,,, guess what else?? His own DVD/CD Rom doesn't work now either....it shows exactly the same faults as both my drives.
Please help me??
We both run Windows XP pro.
jamr
Buffer Underrun

Postby Bhairav on Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:59 am

Nope, hardware virii don't exist, AFAIK. Maybe it's just a really bad coincidence that his drives got stuffed at the same time as yours?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby Rudy on Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:08 am

Jamr:

Did you install any software when you installed your drive in your friend's computer or just hardware?

drivers? windows updates? dvd playing software? etc?
Rudy
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives