Home News Reviews Forums Shop

could someone explain to me what the media code is god for

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

could someone explain to me what the media code is god for

Postby SWOOP on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:20 am

Like i said in my last post i am still very new at all this but its great to know stuff hehe.
WHat dose the media code realy meen and do ??

ANd what is the best media code if i can ask that question

Thanks
SWOOP
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:34 am

Hello!

There are many brands of media, but only a few manufacturers. Companies like Memorex, Traxdata, Platinum are buy media from different manufacturers and print their own label on the media.

If you want to know the real manufacturers, you can read the media-code with programs like DVDIdentifier.

Here are a list of many brands and the media-code of the real manufacturer:

www.cdr-info.de

The best code? My opinion is, that the best one is from Taiyo Yuden, but the media-codes has differences, it depends on this things: DVD+R or DVD-R, max. Speed.
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:13 pm

Just a quick addition to what Scour said:

The media code is not a guarenteed way of knowing the manufacturer of the media. Many companies use other companies' codes for their own media, sometimes with permission and sometimes without. For instance, Prodisc and CMC both use MCC's code for their media on occasion, with the permission of MCC. Other companies, like Princo, are known to use other companies' codes pretty much whenever they feel like it, without any permission.

In other situations, companies make the stamper used to create the blank media, but let another larger plant use that stamper to make media for them. An instance of this would be Fuji who makes stampers for their own media, but gets Prodisc to do the actual pressing of the discs.

Situations like this make it very hard to know the real manufacturer, or all the situations involved in the making of a disc, just by the media code alone! Although the media code is a good start :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers