Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CRW-F1 Noise

Burn baby burn!

CRW-F1 Noise

Postby Monroe on Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:09 am

Trying out this burner vs. Plextor 4012TA for DAW usage. Early in the testing but something disturbing is occuring. When reading CD-R's or CD-RW's with large files, drive creates quite a noise. Upon loading disc, low-level whirring sound begins. Once (for example, using 600 MB *.pdf or *.wav file) file is accessed from explorer window and application opens it, noise level quicly increases, then stabilizes at a level much louder than original disc load level (this level continues for approximately 2 minutes beyond closing of file!; WTF!!). Waiting for reply from Yamaha, but is this normal for this drive? The Plextor is much quieter. I understood that the Yamaha is supposedly slightly noisier than most higher speed drives, but this seems extreme. I'm upgrading from a much slower Yamaha drive so perhaps this is simply the state of higher speed drives? Appreciate any input here. :-?
Monroe
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:30 am

It is hard to say, Monroe. Your description of the characteristics of the noise the drive makes sounds normal (no pun intended :) ). The only question is whether the absolute levels of the noise are excessive. Without hearing, I'm not sure how anyone will be able to answer your question.

I will add that my Yamaha CRW-3200EZ is significantly noisier than my Memorex/LiteOn drive. And you are correct that Yamaha drives have a reputation for being audibly noisy. But the F1 is supposed to be improved in that regard.

Sorry.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives