Home News Reviews Forums Shop


NU DDW-162

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby Bhairav on Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:21 am

Ciryadin wrote:
OC-Freak wrote:Let's see if the NU could match it ( BenQ DW1600A )


Actually u can compare very easily since BenQ buys there drives from QSI Taiwan, which is NU mothercompany :wink:


I'm pretty sure that's not true either. All the Benq DVDR/RW drives I have seen here in India are made in Malaysia too.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
User avatar
Bhairav
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:44 am
Location: Bombay,India

Postby Ciryadin on Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:05 am

You could try ask BenQ then :wink: if you don't believe it.
-= Looking Into The Abyss, Do You Feel Torture Or Bliss=-

NU-Europe
Field Application Engineer
Ciryadin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby jsl on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:43 am

How about you explaining what you mean with "buy" instead? Because this sounds like BS to me too...
jsl
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:34 am

Re: ?

Postby jsl on Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:10 pm

jsl wrote:Uhm, just because the MP5308 was a rebadged NEC doesn't mean that all Ricoh's coming drives will be NEC OEM's. Ricoh models:

MP5120/25 -> Ricoh
MP5163 -> NEC
MP5240 -> Ricoh
MP5308 -> NEC
MP5316(?) -> Ricoh (according to what I've heard including own chipset).

It looks like I was wrong there :oops:, the 5316 looks to be a NEC rebadge after all. Kind of strange though to make a chipset and probably helping AOpen with the R&D of the DUW1608 (in the AOpen firmware you'll find the string "AOPEN DUW1608/ARR A101 20040809 Copyright(C)Ricoh Co.,Ltd.") and then shipping a NEC rebadge under its own brand :-?
jsl
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:34 am

Postby OC-Freak on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:54 am

Ciryadin: You are wrong.

I asked BenQ about this, and they told all manufacturing is done by them.

1: Benq 16x (DW1600/1620) has been at production level since May - why not the NU 16x too if BenQ get the drives from NU?
2: BenQ drives is based on a philips chipset (which has no flaws that can't be adjusted by firmware upgrades). NU 16x uses a ricoh chipset........
www.cdfreaks.com reviewer and forum administrator.
OC-Freak
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Norway

Postby jsl on Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:08 am

Ciryadin wrote:You could try ask BenQ then :wink: if you don't believe it.

I would say it looks to be the other way around, you will rebadge BenQ drives: http://www.nu-global.com/1_english/2_ne ... =1&pID=119

So what happened to the DDW-162? Or was it just a AOpen(-Ricoh) rebadge but you now decided to use BenQ instead, seeing QSI is focusing on slim type drives now: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9927

And what was it that was so bad about Philips chipset again? :lol:
jsl
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:34 am

Postby uknown1234 on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:29 am

jsl wrote:I would say it looks to be the other way around, you will rebadge BenQ drives: http://www.nu-global.com/1_english/2_ne ... =1&pID=119

so you are saying the new nu drives are benq oem drives?
how did you come to this conclusion?
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:04 pm

?

Postby konsolen on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:32 am

the new nu tech 16x burner burns DL only with 2,4?

thats to slow!!

nec and pio108 can handle them with 4x!
my system:
Asus P4C800-E Del.,P4 3,02 Ghz FSB800,1024mb DDR433,160gb S-ATA,120gb P-ATA,NEC-3500,Tosh 1712,MSI 5900xt
konsolen
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:27 am

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:51 am

uknown1234 wrote:how did you come to this conclusion?


Look at the front of the drive. Total BenQ.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
User avatar
Ian
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:34 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby uknown1234 on Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:08 pm

Ian wrote:
uknown1234 wrote:how did you come to this conclusion?


Look at the front of the drive. Total BenQ.

yea I know what you mean but this has not been confirmed yet has it?
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Postby Tornado on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:19 pm

Makes sense to me that they probably gave up, and decided to rebadge Benq drives. The last firmware update for the DDW-082 was almost 3 months ago. From my experience the 082 was marginal at 8x on +R and they struggled mightily with -R, never really figuring it out.
Tornado
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:06 am

Postby Ciryadin on Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:19 am

Yep, for the moment DDW-163 is the OEM version which BENQ also has.

The DDW-162 which is Ricoh based chipset is delayed to fine-tune the writing capabilities.
-= Looking Into The Abyss, Do You Feel Torture Or Bliss=-

NU-Europe
Field Application Engineer
Ciryadin
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Netherlands

Previous

Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.