Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD advice...

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD advice...

Postby 7-endless on Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I've finally decided to splurge for a new DVD Rom drive but wanted some feedback on which drives out there are the best right now for reading both audio (ie. key2audio and cds200) and game copy protections? ...Or is there even a drive out there right now that can "do it all"?
7-endless
Buffer Underrun

TOSHIBA for COPY PROTECTIONS LITEON for ALL ROUND PERFORMANC

Postby hammad on Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:26 am

TOSHIBA is known best for its copy protection handling , TOSHIBA has released a brand new DVD ROM sdm1712 i guess,BUT TOSHIBA cant read DVD+R or DVD+RW format (not sure which one) so check for it .

LITEON is the most selling DVD ROM drive with fastest DAE , ABILITY to read heavily scratched discs,can read DVD RAM and is probably the cheapest.
hammad
CD-RW Thug

Postby 7-endless on Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:41 pm

Thanks hammad for the info...I was thinking about the Toshiba and Liteon...but I thought that the Liteon had some problems reading some audio protected discs and also some of the newer Safedisk protections as well...do you know if this is true?

Also, anyone have the Sony DDU1621? I heard that this was also a decent drive and I find it a bit ironic that this was one of the DVD-Rom drives that could read Sony's own key2audio protection...hehe...
7-endless
Buffer Underrun

Postby hammad on Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:50 pm

do u know that TOSHIBA SDM 1612 dont reads DVD+rw and DVD+r media,my friend tolde me that and i think to tell you about that ,BTC 316b is insde SONY DDU 1621 it has some HIGH seek times with CD-RW media and read at 24x max,also BTC was the worst performer of SAFEDISC ver 2 the last time i check, TOSHIBA has a dvd ripping speed that hovers around 4x.

key 2 audio and cds200 are the worst scenarios for any dvd drive (even toshiba) so forget about that i cant even recognized the disc fully with any dvd rom and it halts ((ASUS LITEON BTC all).

toshiba and BTC cant take scratched media at all .

toshiba and btc have released new firmwares frequently but i doubt that each and every problem fixes with firmware upgrade and btc drive starts ripping cd s200 or key 2 audio :)

if u find any of my sayings wrong or find any interesting thing then please tell me.

i suggest LITEON LTD 166s as the best all purpose reader.
hammad
CD-RW Thug

Return to DVD Writers