6%
Maybe
25%
This is a waste of time
6%

Total votes : 16

DVD are they really the future?

Postby CignaXI on Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:10 am

What boosted the cdrw industry was the mp3 mania, most people bought a cdrw because in this way they could hear the music they downloaded for free anywhere they wanted. Mp3's and music weren't the only reason for this but it is one of the most important one in my opinion.

Now with dvd's could happen the samething but with movies taking the place of mp3's. I don't recall where I read it but DVD players are selling like hell this christmas. This could help the dvdrw development but I'm not to sure about it. I don't know about you but after seeing a movie more than two times I get bored about it, unlike music. I thought that divx could make the same think mp3's did to cdr's but vcd's and svcd's do this job already. So I will think it two times before spending 5 buck for dvd media to copy a movie that I will only see two times or so when I could buy a $.36 cd. I know this is ilegal but lets realize it, you only use your cdrw to make one thing, copy, and most of it is illegal. I'm pro this technology and waiting for it to mature, but I don't see any signs that it would be as mainstream as cdr's are now. The only logical use I see it has is backing up large HD's and with the new generation of HD (120GB-up) I don't really see my PC lacking space. I just would like to know some reasons you think this will be the next successor of cdrw's:
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:27 pm

I think most the peeps that are buying (re)writable DVD's now *are* using it for backup mainly. Afterall, who would by an expensive unit that has reletively poor compatibility and is based on immature or even non-standards.

I don't know anyone who bought a DVD-R exclusively for copying movies... but I could think of a few that would get one if the price was lower and compatibility was better. Currently, they are doing fine with DIVX and CD-R's.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers