Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD's burned with Nero wont play on XBox

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD's burned with Nero wont play on XBox

Postby seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:10 am

I found something really strange. I'm using the latest version of Nero (5.5.9.17) and any DVD-video burns I make with my Sony dru-500a, whether it be DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, or DVD+RW wont play in my XBox. I get a message that says it cant recognize the disc. Now all these copies will play fine in my standalone DVD player as well as 3 DVD-Rom drives.

When I make burns with Veritas Recordnow Max, the burns play fine in the Xbox.

Looks like Nero is doing something to these burns that the XBox is not liking. Just wondering if anyone else is noticing this?
seezar
Buffer Underrun

Postby seaegg on Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:46 am

Funny you should say that when I burn a disc using DVD Video option they play fine on my Pioneer DV-440 but not my Sony NS315. They way I got around this is to make an image file of the DVD and burn it using DVDDecrypter, then all my problems go away. I'm pretty sure there's some setting under ISO we need to change but I'm not that savvy about so I just burn them using another method.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:52 am

This is just a shot in the dark, since I don't own a DVD burner and have never burned a DVD, but I do know that enabling Joiliet filename extensions in Nero caused problems in some players with some VCD's I burned. Try changing the Joiliet setting in your ISO settings dialog.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:01 am

cfitz,
I have already tried turning off Joliet file extensions in the burning properties with no better results.

I'm at work now, but when I'm home I'll post the exact settings I have set when I'm burning in Nero to see if we can figure out what is causing this.
seezar
Buffer Underrun

Postby seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:16 am

seezar
Buffer Underrun

Postby gianniz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:15 am

you can only make working version of xbox games using nero (infact better than recordnow as for some strange reason record now didn't make perfect image when i burned from image and few files were missing!) nero doesn't really support proper UDF format xbox requires thus it will not work. However if you make image out of it by using GDFIMAGE and load this image from nero and it will work perfectly. I recommened doing this as it will speed up the loading time dramatically.
ciao
gianniz
Buffer Underrun

Postby seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:24 am

gianniz,
Havent tried burning games, these problems are for playing DVD-video when burned with Nero.
seezar
Buffer Underrun

Re: DVD's burned with Nero wont play on XBox

Postby VEFF on Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:22 am

seezar wrote:I found something really strange. I'm using the latest version of Nero (5.5.9.17) and any DVD-video burns I make with my Sony dru-500a, whether it be DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, or DVD+RW wont play in my XBox. I get a message that says it cant recognize the disc. Now all these copies will play fine in my standalone DVD player as well as 3 DVD-Rom drives.

When I make burns with Veritas Recordnow Max, the burns play fine in the Xbox.

Looks like Nero is doing something to these burns that the XBox is not liking. Just wondering if anyone else is noticing this?

Try using Stomp RecordNow Max or Veritas RecordNow.

Nero video DVDs do NOT play on two of my three DVD players.
Stomp video DVDs, however, DO play on all three of my home DVD players (including my Xbox).

I had the same problem with my previous DVD burner and Nero, so it is nothing to do with the DRU-500A...

At one point Nero had this problem listed as a bug (to do with the UDF filesystem not being burned for video DVDs) that they had fixed (according to their changelog), but as far as I am concerned, Nero still does not work for video DVDs.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby boblx2 on Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:12 pm

If you need to use Nero you might also use the "data disc" option and just drag the video_ts and the audio_ts folders over to it and burn it. I have never tried to burn a video disc with Nero that it did not complain but using this method usually works. Personally I have defaulted to DVD Decryptor for almost everything. Of course that requires using an image file which is somtimes not handy...........
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Postby seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:10 pm

boblx2 wrote:If you need to use Nero you might also use the "data disc" option and just drag the video_ts and the audio_ts folders over to it and burn it.

I've also tried burning with Nero this way and get the exact same results. Definately looks like Nero is not to be used for DVD-video.
seezar
Buffer Underrun

Postby IndieSnob on Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:03 pm

I can't understand for the life of me why people have so many problems with Nero and dvd-video. I'm not saying anyone here is a liar, far from it, but I have backedup alot of movies and have had no problems on the following dvd players:

Apex AD-1200
Panasonic Set-Top
Playstation 2
Sony 5X DVD-Rom Drive
Lite-On 166S DVD-Rom Drive
Matshita DVD/CDRW Combo Drive (Toshiba Laptop)

I'm using 5.5.9.17 version of Nero and burning them using 'UDF/ISO'.
IndieSnob
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:59 pm

IndieSnob wrote:I have backedup alot of movies and have had no problems on the following dvd players <snip

Please provide everyone your exact settings so that they may duplicate your success.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:02 pm

IndieSnob,
But have you tried your burns in an XBox? The burns i make with Nero have worked in every stand alone DVD player and DVD-Rom drive I have tried, but do NOT work with the XBox. Thats why the problem is strange. If I use another program to burn, they will play in the XBox.

The burns I have made with Nero DO work with the following standalone players:

Apex AD-1200
Apex AD-1500
JVC SA75-GD
Denon DVD-1600
Panasonic RV31
Sony Playstation 2

So all my burns would pretty much work in the devices you have tested but I'd be willing to bet if you try your burns in an XBox, they wont play.

This is the same method I use with the same version of Nero.
seezar
Buffer Underrun

Postby seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:43 pm

OK, here are the settings for Nero I use:

EDIT: cfitz, thanks for the advice, I just udpated my screen shots to the PNG format, definately look much nicer and smaller file sizes :)
Last edited by seezar on Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seezar
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:50 pm

Well, that is what I would choose also. IndieSnob, how do seezar's settings compare to yourf?

For future reference, seezar, PNG is a better format for posting screen-shots. It is generally clearer and smaller in size, because it is able to take advantage of the large homogeneous areas typical of screen-shots. JPG is better for photographs.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby gianniz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:56 pm

makes no differences game or dvd movies.. its the file system! xbox is picky( for copy protection reason) so unless you put right filesystem it wont work! and nero just cannot manage. normal dvd player only look for files, but xbox can only read files under certain UDF system (sofar recordnow can do this perfectl) and nero using GDFimage,
gianniz
Buffer Underrun

Postby VEFF on Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:33 pm

IndieSnob wrote:I can't understand for the life of me why people have so many problems with Nero and dvd-video. I'm not saying anyone here is a liar, far from it, but I have backedup alot of movies and have had no problems on the following dvd players:

Apex AD-1200
Panasonic Set-Top
Playstation 2
Sony 5X DVD-Rom Drive
Lite-On 166S DVD-Rom Drive
Matshita DVD/CDRW Combo Drive (Toshiba Laptop)

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try 'UDF/ISO' compilation type one more time (and risk one more coaster for the sake of experimentation) then.

I last tried UDF/ISO many months ago (i.e. before the seemingly more appropriate 'DVD Video' compilation was added to Nero), and I had the exact same results as I am now gfetting when using 'DVD Video': only my Apex would play the Nero-burned discs.

I was recently wondering (and posted about it) whether maybe the players are somehow to blame.
If that is the case though, Stomp gets around this and works with everything, and I will therefore continue to use it regardless of whether Nero or the players are to blame.
I can't remember the last time someone had trouble playing
Stomp-burned DVD video discs.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:45 pm

seezar wrote:EDIT: cfitz, thanks for the advice, I just udpated my screen shots to the PNG format, definately look much nicer and smaller file sizes :)

You are welcome. They do look great now. Thanks for sharing.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby boblx2 on Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:42 pm

VEFF, a bit off of the subject but how do you run Stomp RecordNow Max and Nero on the same system? When I installed Stomp it said that it would conflict with Nero so I de-installed Nero.

On the original subject, I have always used Nero successfully too I just selected "data dsic" from the wizard and did not change any settings. But then I don't have an Xbox. I do have a Panasonic DV-30 and an Apex AD-5131 which both play Nero discs made with data disk very well. I also have had no problems with the Sony DRU-500A with either - or + media.

Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:49 pm

boblx2 wrote:VEFF, a bit off of the subject but how do you run Stomp RecordNow Max and Nero on the same system? When I installed Stomp it said that it would conflict with Nero so I de-installed Nero.

On the original subject, I have always used Nero successfully too I just selected "data dsic" from the wizard and did not change any settings. But then I don't have an Xbox. I do have a Panasonic DV-30 and an Apex AD-5131 which both play Nero discs made with data disk very well. I also have had no problems with the Sony DRU-500A with either - or + media.

1) Stomp (and Veritas) never had a problem with Nero.
I am using Windows XP Pro SP1.
Not sure why you are having problems.

Do you have packet writing software installed?
Nero InCD or Stomp DLA? I have neither, but I am guessing one of those doesn't like the presence of the other.

2) Not sure what is up with Nero and DVD Video.
To be honest I got tired months ago of wasting money (coasters) and. more importantly valuable time, trying to burn DVD video with Nero, when Stomp RNMax and Veritas RN both work flawlessly.
I have been happily using Stomp for all my DVD Video burning needs (and other DVD burning needs too) for months now :)
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby boblx2 on Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:23 pm

RIght. I have Stomp, DLA, etc. I loaded the whole 4.50 package, not just the RecordNow from Sony. And when I did it insisted on me de-installing Nero. That was okay because I don't use Nero much anyway. I usually use DVD Decryptor if I don't use the Veritas package. Was just wondering about that conflict. I did not notice that complaint when I only loaded RcordNow from Sony on my other system.

Thanks for the response.........
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

:*(

Postby IndieSnob on Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:03 pm

Sorry I haven't replied with my settings at all.

I just want to take this time to tell everyone, to be thanfull for their family, health, and everything else they love.

I say this because as I speak right now, my father is lying in the hospital
now having his last days of living with a horrible disease named ALS (Lou-Gehrigs Disease). I had moved back from Brooklyn/Seattle this last March because we thought he had had strokes, but we got the diagnosis in late May. Since then I had moved him into an apartment and been with him 24/7. While it's not easy to watch a loved one go, you know that their pain will stop, and if you beleive in such things, what's on the other side is so much better. I wouldn't take back this experience for anything. I got to spend alot of quality time with my father, and unfortunately alot of miserable times through this, and even though it's hard to think about it now, I know I'll look back on this fondly, and know that I did the right thing and that everything in life is important and it's just sometimes too damn short.

I'm sorry to have gone on like this. I just felt I needed to let it all out. I will be napping now and going back to the hospital soon to sit and hold his hand and let his soul finally release in peace.

Happy health to all of the rest of you and your loved ones.

Ben
IndieSnob
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:45 pm

I'm truly sorry to hear that Ben. This must be a very difficult time for you, but I am glad you have been able to appreciate the time you have been able to spend with your father. I pray for strength for you and your family as you face this test, and hope that you find peace.

Craig
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby IndieSnob on Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:06 pm

Thank you so much Craig. He pass Friday morning at 5:30 while his mother (my grandmother) and I slept in the room. He was very well sedated and just stopped breathing. Please hold dear those dear to you.
IndieSnob
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers