Please bear with my detailed explanation of my problem
I bought a bulk version of this LG DVD writer 4040B sometime ago. It supports DVD-RAM but it my bulk version didnt come with the drivers. So then i decided to try it out. This is after i already had success using the writer. I looked around the DVDRhelp.com forum and found RAM drivers which other users have used sucessfully. The last part of the installation was 'DETECTING DVD RAM DRIVE' or something to that effect. I had to reboot and my Drive disappeared after that!
My Drives are:
C: and D: - partitioned HDDs
E: CDROM (Slave Sec.)
F: missing DVD Drive (Master Sec.)
OS: WIN2KPRO SP4
I am able to power up the Drive e.g eject. And BIOS detects it. In Disk Management, the missing Drive is not listed in 'Logical Drives'. However it is listed in ' Problem Devices ' (error code 19). When i do a diagnostics, the missing Drive appears alongside my CDROM Drive in SCSI Devices.
These are the number of things I have tried to no effect:
1) Unplugging the cables and uninstalling my secondary IDE. and reboot(twice), the drive comes back momentarily. however the drive will be 'installed' then it disappears again, even before i had a chance to restart to changes to take effect.
2) Changing the drivers of my IDE Ata/Atapi Controllers from INTEL to Standard
3) Looked for the registry values to remove Upper and Lower Filters as advised by Roxio but no such values
4) Switched around the jumpers and Master/Slave switches in various combinations
5) Completely removing the RAM Drivers (what i did instantly)
I have posted my problem in other forums too but still unable to get an effective solution. Would reinstalling the OS be a surefire way? athough that is surely a last resort for me. I hope someone can suggest other ideas for my problem. Please help!
Thanks for reading