Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HD DVD Equipped Xbox 360 In The Works?

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

HD DVD Equipped Xbox 360 In The Works?

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Yeah, I know. We've heard these rumors before. Supposedly, this is coming from sources at Toshiba.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Con ... 3U2?page=1

Microsoft, according to insiders at Toshiba owner of the HD DVD patents, claim that Microsoft is working on a brand new Xbox that will incorporate not only a new HD DVD drive but a large hard drive and new entertainment software that is a spin off from its struggling media centre offering.

The device is being developed in response to the PS3 driving sales of games software and Blu-ray content in several countries. A recent Sony Brand Wave study conducted in five countries including the UK, Australia, France Germany and Spain revealed that a key reason that consumers are buying a PS3 is because it includes a Blu-ray player.

I also found this interesting. For some reason I was under the impression that the Xbox's add-on HD DVD drive was selling well.

Recent GFK research reveals that the recently launched Xbox 360 HD DVD attach player is not selling well. Another factor that impacted early sales of the Xbox 360 was that Microsoft failed to include a HDMI port - omitted because Microsoft wanted to cut down the costs of the console in an effort to compete up against the PS3.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby oslik3 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Hopefully they can get it out on the market before the format war is over.

You really are hoping for that, Ian ? :P
oslik3
CD-RW Thug

Postby Wesociety on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Interesting, a rumor that supposedly comes from a valid source this time. We've heard this one many many times before, so maybe it will actually see the light of day at some point.

The new device is expected to be released late in 2008 or at the 2009 CES show in Las Vegas.

I've said it many times before, Microsoft should have released an Xbox 360 with built in HD DVD drive at least a year ago... It's not like they have a problem with multiple Xbox 360 versions.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:10 pm

If this comes to fruition, I wonder if games will eventually appear on HD-DVD. I guess more importantly, is the extra space necessary at this point (or the forseeable future).
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:37 pm

oslik3 wrote:
Hopefully they can get it out on the market before the format war is over.

You really are hoping for that, Ian ? :P

Honestly, I just want the war to end.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby oslik3 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 am

Ian wrote:Honestly, I just want the war to end.

I agree completely. It's getting more frustrating as there is no end in sight.
At this point the arguments about advantages of each format become secondary, I am ready to give up on that - (BR !!) and just want it to be over , so that we can move on already, and talk about the movies themselves and not which studio/format they are on.
oslik3
CD-RW Thug

Postby vinnie97 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:53 am

Grain wrote:If this comes to fruition, I wonder if games will eventually appear on HD-DVD. I guess more importantly, is the extra space necessary at this point (or the forseeable future).

I can't see this happening until the next iteration of the Xbox hardware. If this were to happen today, it would deny gaming to a game base that is well over 10 million already (and increasing by the day). The addition of a built-in HD DVD drive would simply add to the 360's appeal as a media box in the living room.

And I think MS left out such a configuration at the beginning because they wanted to save as much money as possible (RROD suitably canceled out that benefit) and keep the price competitive in order to trump the PS3. So far, this strategy has kept Sony in the hole, which I think will widen in Q4, $400 PS3 or not (October's going to be another PS3 killing-month for sure).
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:06 am

vinnie97 wrote:I can't see this happening until the next iteration of the Xbox hardware. If this were to happen today, it would deny gaming to a game base that is well over 10 million already (and increasing by the day). The addition of a built-in HD DVD drive would simply add to the 360's appeal as a media box in the living room.

If people wanted to play a game on HD DVD, they could just get the addon drive.

I can't remember if it was the PS2 or Xbox, but there was a game that required a hard drive. If you wanted to play it, you bought the drive too.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:35 am

Yup, Xbox...Final Fantasy MMORPG.

I don't think Microsoft should make a regular habit of this, though...it just fragments the userbase and harks back to Sega's similar actions that led them down a path of destruction. ;)
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:17 pm

If the new console with built in HD DVD drive is supposed to be out in late 2008 or around CES of 2009, then it's going to not come out at all I'd imagine. If they could get it out in time for Christmas this year, then maybe it would make a difference or have a chance... but after this holiday season is over, I think they'd be fools to pump more money into HD DVD like that with their gaming division, especially like that.

Also, I think I remember hearing that the add-on drive was not able to handle gameplay support... so MS would be pissing off a LOT of existing owners.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:58 pm

[quote="vinnie97"]Yup, Xbox...Final Fantasy MMORPG.
quote]

There was a PS2 Final Fantasy that came with a HDD too, whether it was necessary or just a gimic I don't know. I remember almost buying the game just to get the HDD, before finding out that you could make most OEM drives work (never did that either, bot a slimline instead).
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:01 pm

According to Stuff.tv, this rumor isn't true.

http://stuff.tv/news/toshiba-says-no-to ... fault.aspx

As with every ‘Microsoft to add HD DVD to 360’ rumour – currently at about one a month – Microsoft is dismissing the claims. But so is Toshiba.

A spokesperson for Tosh told Stuff.tv: ‘Toshiba has no comment to make on this matter. The Xbox 360 is not a Toshiba product.’

I'm still not convinced that there isn't one in the works.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:26 pm

That stuff.tv article title is misleading. Toshiba didn't say no, they said no comment. sheesh. #-o
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives