Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Hd DVD's Last Kick

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:34 pm

Grain wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:That said, I find I'm starting to rent HiDef releases.


I've rented a few from zip & canflix (mail), but some have arrived pretty beat up, and skip badly. Error correction with scratched disc for both new media doesn't seem as good as SD DVD. My local mom and pop rental shop doesn't carry BD's yet (he only knows of 2 customers with players!), but they rent new SD releases for $3.50 each incl taxes, and has 2 for 1 Monday =D> rentals, so I don't complain!


The problem is that the error correction is probably not 5x better then DVDs, so with the data denisty being 5x that of DVD, even if the error correction HAS improved, it will seem to be much worse by comparison. If you're looking at similar amounts of disc damage externally at least.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Grain on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 pm

I suspect/hope error correction will get better with BD media as the hardware evolves. As for HD DVD hardware, we'll be lucky to see anymore at all, but I am hopeful.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:12 am
Location: Canada

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Grain wrote:I suspect/hope error correction will get better with BD media as the hardware evolves. As for HD DVD hardware, we'll be lucky to see anymore at all, but I am hopeful.


On the player side of things, that's entirely possible and likely. Of course the spec itself is not going to change in this regard however.

Error correction has always been a weak point for Toshiba. Sony/Philips were the ones who handled the error correction for the DVD format luckily :wink: The original error correction method from Toshiba was much less forgiving :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Grain on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:03 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Grain wrote:I suspect/hope error correction will get better with BD media as the hardware evolves. As for HD DVD hardware, we'll be lucky to see anymore at all, but I am hopeful.


On the player side of things, that's entirely possible and likely. Of course the spec itself is not going to change in this regard however.

Error correction has always been a weak point for Toshiba. Sony/Philips were the ones who handled the error correction for the DVD format luckily :wink: The original error correction method from Toshiba was much less forgiving :o


I'm talking hardware for error correction. There's been two camps with error correction, those that thought that high error correction resulted in a poorer reproduction of the data, ie that the hardware is guess-timating the corrupted data and/or playing errors mixed in with the data, and those who felt that low error correction resulted in a more faithful reproduction of the original data, ie more how a computer drive reads data versus an optical player, either it's there or it's not. Recent hardware has gotten a lot better at accurately reading corrupted data without the guess-timation factor. I hope that BD hardware is able to evolve as SD DVD players have, and I think it should be able to, more compact data or not. Laymans explanation.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:12 am
Location: Canada

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Grain wrote:I'm talking hardware for error correction. There's been two camps with error correction, those that thought that high error correction resulted in a poorer reproduction of the data, ie that the hardware is guess-timating the corrupted data and/or playing errors mixed in with the data, and those who felt that low error correction resulted in a more faithful reproduction of the original data, ie more how a computer drive reads data versus an optical player, either it's there or it's not. Recent hardware has gotten a lot better at accurately reading corrupted data without the guess-timation factor. I hope that BD hardware is able to evolve as SD DVD players have, and I think it should be able to, more compact data or not. Laymans explanation.


Ahh, I see what you're saying now. Yes, that should improve with time for sure. It's really one of the things we can probably put our trust in Lite-On for :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Previous

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.