Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD Video question

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD Video question

Postby boden11 on Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:02 pm

Ok, so I rented some videos at the rental store (DVDs) to check out if:

1) I could copy DVD's at all (I mean me, I know the burner can, but if I could figure out all the steps and get it to burn correctly) both a DVD > 4.7GB and one <4.7GB stock

2) If my DVD player for my TV would play these DVDs

So I rented a XXX movie and a regular movie (figged the XXX would be under 4.7, plus what the hey right? hehehe). I had it easy with the XXX cuz there was no region or copy protection so nero dvd copy made a copy and it worked fine with my DVD player for my tv

So I tried the regular movie, was like 5.8GB or something (yes!) so I ripped it, stripped it and all that jazz (made sure to make it region free, fixed the VTS sectors and whatnot) and then burned it. It burned fine (Sony DRU-500a) onto a DVD+R and so when I popped it into either my DVD-ROM in my computer or my Sony it loads up PowerDVD and plays it (no menu, just straight to movie) ok it works. Then when I throw it in my Samsung 511 it doesn't play. "Can't load" (I followed all the steps, put the files into the correct dir. and all that)

hmmmm?? Any ideas. I'll try it on some other players when I can. I also noticed the XXX movie that I copied plays fine and skips forward fine but when I try to go ahead by chapters it will sometimes get stuck (I guess the chapter outlines aren't easy enough for the DVD player to find)

Well I have a DVD+RW and the 5.8GB (stripped to like 4 GB) still on my hdd and since I've read MORE dvd players will read +RW then +R I'm kinda curious. Now for a DVD+RW do I need to burn it any special way? If I wanna delete it and then burn other stuff onto it how do I do that? (Format? or just reburn)

I wish there was a decent manual with this drive or decent software. It's weird, it's like a kickass drive with mostly crap software and no documentation. hehehe
boden11
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers