Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Emedia Article: DVD±RW DL—D.O.A.?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Emedia Article: DVD±RW DL—D.O.A.?

Postby Ian on Wed May 11, 2005 2:03 pm

Anyone else read this article at Emedia?

http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/Read ... cleID=9913

I frequently read Hugh's articles since he usually knows what he's talking about. However, I am very surprised that he, and many others, think that Blu-ray and/or HD DVD are going to come in and replace current DVD technology over night.

The one paragraph in particular that bothered me:

Recording favorite TV shows and data backup are also mentioned as possible uses for rewritable DL but current DVD formats and hard drive combinations easily fill most needs. Beyond intrinsic incompatibility, rewritable DLs will be difficult to manufacture, expensive, and scarce, with little chance for improvement. Most importantly, much higher-capacity Blu-ray Disc (BD-R, BD-RE), HD-DVD (HD DVD-R, HD DVD-RW), or a unified blue laser alternative, are just around the corner and may prove rewritable DL to be as irrelevant as was the quickly (and wisely) forgotten Double Density CD (DDCD).

Right around the corner is still 6-10 months away and adoption by consumers is still a number of YEARS away.

Hell.. I'd rather invest in DVD±RW DL.. formats that will potentially work with my existing DVD hardware... than spend thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest.

DDCD is a poor comparison as well. DDCD's were readable only in DDCD drives... and Sony's licensing fees made it so that they were the only one that manufactured them. With DVD±RW DL, the discs should, in theory, be readable in whatever (we all know this won't be the case.. but still).

Sorry for the rant.. I'm just getting sick of the media automatically crapping on anything that isn't Blu-ray or HD DVD.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Wed May 11, 2005 3:33 pm

Well he's not the only one who thinks dual layer will easy take over the market however they are bit more carefull when they say it because they add some conditions which should be there.

Dual Layer RW really was problematic so I really wonder if JVC did overcome all the stuff other compannies experienced problems with.

If the new formats will become a succes then the market for dual layer DVD media probally will become really small. However first the new formats need to be succesfull something which no one can predict.

I self think that the current negotiations about the third format might actually make enough people wait befor the choose a format. (I would )
In this case what would people use if they needed 5.5GB storrage.
Would they be stupid enough to buy a format which only survives a few months ? Or would do they say hey let's use a overpriced disc for that ocasion.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed May 11, 2005 6:48 pm

DVD±RW DL will be nice for data storage applications.
I've had quite a few people ask me about the possibility IRL...
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers